Storage Guides
 DeskTop Drive Setup
 Preparing New Drives
 Move Users 10.5 - 10.6

Port Multiplication Guide
Roll Your Own SATA
Hot Swap SATA Guide
Motherboard Layouts

Go Back   MacGurus Technical Forums > System Discussions > Intel Macs - MacPro to Mini

Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Guru Moderator

Default Got me a new Mini.....

...what do I do now Mummy?

My venerable 2x2 G5 just ain't enough anymore.

So, I now have a Mini, one of the i7 kind.

For the last while I've had my G5 set up with a pair of 1TB drives configured to use the http://www.macgurus.com/productpages...sers_part1.php scheme... I love it. But I can't carry on with that with the Mini unless the G5 is up and running. I know, a Thunderbolt external drive would solve that. But I figure that for the nonce I'll use the G5 as a jbod. Heck! I have 2TB of storage there!

I want to keep things as simple as possible. I know that I can use the G5 in Firewire Target Disk Mode and simply use my existing Users folder. But of course, that'll be via FW.

My critical application is Pro Tools LE. Digidesign do not recommend using the boot volume as the Media volume. Loads of people do though.

The beauties of having the Users folder on another drive are speed and portability, and the facility to set up a stupid-proof backup. A great man once said "...if it ain't automatic, it ain't a backup!"

So, with the Mini and it's single internal HDD, I can't do that anymore.

The Mini has a 500GB drive.

She who must be obeyed wants to have this Mini run Windows for gaming purposes. What should I be thinking about that?

Just thinking out loud here folks....

The Mini is still in it's box. I'm not going to fire it up until I have a plan.

I need a backup strategy (currently using Synchronize! Pro X), and advice about running BootCamp.

Cheers!

Dave.

G5, Mac mini 5,2
Old 03-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Guru Forum Ruler

the mini has room for a second internal HD...

That 500gb drive in your mini is a 5400 rpm drive. how much that affects protools I don't know

Core I7 Mini, 512GB SSD/2x Core2 Duo Mac Mini/PowerMac 8500g3/B&W G3 with G4 500 processor, iPhone, iPad
Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Guru Moderator

TDM via FW, and use the Migration Assistant to move the user account and directory.

You can move apps too, just keep in mind that any PPC apps won't run. Apps are all or nothing via MA. Sometimes I move everything, and then trash what I don't need. Or, sometimes I purge the old stuff off the old machine first, then migrate.

HD is the limiting factor, as mentioned. Both size and and performance.

BootCamp is super easy, plug in your Win 7 disk and go......though you need to work put no optical drive.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Guru Forum Ruler

Boot Camp is one where if you print out the instructions - (yeah, APple should make them less than 30 pages, would be easy) - and then follow them. A snap to install windows.

R

"I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

MacPro 8 Core Westmere, pair of 23 inch Cinema and a LogiTech Laser moose
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Guru Moderator

Well now! Things have changed!

I came into the studio this morning, pressed the switch on the desk lamp.... not working. Figured the bulb was gone. Pressed the button to power up the Display... nada! Oh! Looked up at the breaker panel, and sure enough, one was tripped. Uh oh. I reset the breaker, it stayed made. Now I'm wondering what tripped it. Switched on the lamp, it worked. Pressed the button on the Display, nada. Went to the G5 in the little machine room; it had been left running overnight. It was powered off. Pressed the ON button, nada!

Both the G5 and the Display were connected to my APC UPS. I also had my old G4DA connected to the UPS. I turned it on, it powered up just fine, the UPS was fully charged.

Tried supplying both the Mac and the screen directly from power sockets, both still dead.

I took a deep breath, dismantled the G5/Cinema Display setup completely, and set all aside.

I have absolutely no idea what has happened. There was a UPS between the the breaker and the computer, so it can't have been a power spike. I assume that a short behind the UPS would trip the breaker because it reacts to current going to ground?

I'm now up and running on a virgin Mini attached to an old Sony 15" display.

If the G5 is toast I'm not that worried, it was only going to serve as a jbod anyway, and I'm betting that the drives are ok. But the Display, ouch! I might be the psu that's failed. I'm going to see if I can find the info I need to check it with a multimeter. Fingers crossed. If the Display itself is toast then I may get introduced to Thunderbolt sooner than I expected.

G5, Mac mini 5,2
Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Guru Forum Ruler

The venerable Mr Greentree once helped me resurrect a dead G5..

Basically he said pull out everything (ram, battery, hard drives, PCI cards, disconnect USB/firewire/network and unplug from power) then press the power button for a second or two. Then reconnect the main power and with all that other stuff still removed (yes the ram and HD as well) hit the power button again. Shut down and add back in the motherboard battery. Hit power button.. With luck you will be able to start up to the 'No Ram' beeps. If you get there then shut down again and add in the ram and boot drive keyboard and mouse. At this point you should boot to your normal desktop. If so and all works as it should you can start adding back in the extras you may have.

Can't offer any advice for reclaiming the display..... but the Thunderbolt displays are sweet!

Core I7 Mini, 512GB SSD/2x Core2 Duo Mac Mini/PowerMac 8500g3/B&W G3 with G4 500 processor, iPhone, iPad
Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Guru Forum Ruler

First thing is a simple SMC reset.

"I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Old 03-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Guru Forum Ruler

Ya know... the largest coronal mass ejection in 5 years did hit the earth about 6 hours ago

hmmmm

Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Guru Moderator

First, woo hoo welcome to Mini party. I have one, so does Damien, I think Matt has one too.

If you can get the G5 started, remember it will run headless in case you want to see it on the network. Otherwise, no display needed for Firewire target disk mode.

Now about the display, which Cinema Display is it? Size? DVI or ADC? Sniff it -- no joke -- to see if there's a weird stink electronics smell. But you do know how to use a Multimeter. Some of the PSUs for the DVI Cinema Displays show a tendency to fail -- the 23" in particular from googling and reading, although people see failures too on some of the other ones. Some theorize that the PSU is underpowered for the 23"; the beefier one for the 30" will work and Apple says it's compatible.

Mine died recently on my 23", a replacement PSU for the 30" is working like a charm for it now.

MBP 13" 2011 i7 2.7 Ghz -- Mac Mini Server 2011 i7 2.00 GHz -- Cube, Giga 1.3 GHz, Nvidia 6200 -- MDD Dual 1.25 Ghz, OEM ATI 9700, Sonnet/Firmtek SATA -- MDD Dual 1.0 GHz, ATI 9600, UL3D, Cheetah 15.3K, Siig SATA
Old 03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Guru Moderator

Lovin' this Mini!

Alas, my 23" ACD is just fine, it was the psu that died. So, no new T/bolt display.... shucks

Dunno about the G5 yet. With a little luck, God willing' and the creek don't rise, it may be just it's own psu. Fingers crossed.

I found a a cheap psi for the display online, but it'll be a week or so coming. Meanwhile, I'm getting used to all I ever had once... this li'l 15" Sony display.

Best thing about this Mini? It's so quiet! I've spent a lot of time and effort over the years to isolate the noise of the my computer, from B&W thru G4 to G5. My wife's MBPro is louder than this Mini. So, now I'm not tied down by the length of the Display cable! This little Mini sits right next to me on the desk and I can't hear it without trying.

Yes Damien, it's a 5400rpm drive, and Avid (see! I'm up-to-date!) insist on 7200rpm. But my recording track count is usually 2, and probably won't ever be more than 8. To achieve maximum performance from ProTools, with a maximum number of tracks in Record mode, yeah, i can see that you'd need the faster platters.

Rick, I did the SMC reset thing, no joy. I'm not even going to go there. I'll take this G5 to the Genius Bar locally and let them tell me what they think it is. If the cost to fix is reasonable I'll have it fixed, if not I won't. I only want to use it as a jbod. I'm going to price FW800 or hey! T/bolt external storage before I get an estimate on fixing the G5. In the meantime, I'm just going to record to the boot volume. If it craps out, it craps out. Nothing I'm doing right now is mission-critical.

I'm finally being forced to pay for an upgrade to ProTools, but that's the price of getting out of the obsolete corner! So now I'm bang up to date. How long will that last?

This thread is about the Mini. I love the Mini. Best Mac I've ever had. It's right for me.

G5, Mac mini 5,2
Old 03-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Guru Moderator

It's nice to get a new computer AND love it. Good for you!

So since this is about Minis. Thought I would just toss this out and see what happens with it.

Suppose you had a MacBook Pro, or iMac. Couldn't you run a Mini via Thunderbolt as your speedy backup in Target Mode? Plus you'd have a backup computer if something happened to your main unit, i.e. thunderbolt cable could be the hookup to the said Mac display. That's assuming the "monitor" wasn't the problem. Could this work???

iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core i7 w/ 16GB RAM 960GB SSD 10.8.5, & a Very Sweet Burly Hot Swap
Old 03-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Guru Forum Ruler

If I am doing video encoding the fan ramps up to max and you can hear it. It's not too loud even then.

I am loving my Mini so far

Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 AM

Default Got Mine Today

Just got mine today and sending this message from the mini.

G4/D1.0-OS10.3marathon-1.5gb, G4/D1.42-OS10.4.3-1gb, G4/D1.25, OS10.3.9-1gb
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Guru Forum Ruler

sweet

--Ben Franklin