Storage Guides
 DeskTop Drive Setup
 Preparing New Drives
 Move Users 10.5 - 10.6

Port Multiplication Guide
Roll Your Own SATA
Hot Swap SATA Guide
Motherboard Layouts

Go Back   MacGurus Technical Forums > General Hardware and Software Discussions > Thunderbolt

Old 10-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Guru Forum Ruler

Default Thunderbolt - what is it

Thunderbolt chips are starting to ship from Intel. This means we'll finally start seeing some products on the market using this bus. What is it? Will it help me?

Thunderbolt combines two data streams into a single port - Display Port and PCIe.

Display port will allow us to connect a display directly to the Thunderbolt port on your computer. The display port data flow doesn't even interfere with the PCIe data stream. Pretty neat.

PCIe protocols is just that - a 10 Gb/sec connection to your PCI-PCI bridge on the motherboard. This means we can hook up that SATA chipset in an enclosure after bridging through two Thunderbolt chips. Similar to hooking up a Firewire enclosure with a SATA drive only lots faster. Like Firewire, Thunderbolt uses a bridge at both ends with a SATA chipset to talk to the drive.

Basically like this:

Computer -> Thunderbolt -> ext cable -> Thunderbolt -> SATA chipset -> drive

For MacBookPro and iMac this is a HUGE leap forward in capability. This is full speed for half a dozen drives in a RAID. This is a 10 fold increase in possible data I/O as compared to past iMac which were pretty much limited to Firewire at 800 Mb/sec

For a MacPro, not so much. MacPro already has many times the capability of a Thunderbolt bus built into its PCIe slots. And the cost will be less since the PCIe cards are very mature, developed, competitive and inexpensive to make. Thunderbolt in a MacPro might be convenient for plugging in what has previously only been in the realms of Firewire or USB, but Thunderbolt cannot compete with the performance of PCIe slots.

Don't get me wrong, there is a place for Thunderbolt in a MacPro - I can see the day that I want to hook my fancy iPad to my MacPro with a Thunderbolt cable. And when Thunderbolt gets fully implemented in all its glory I REALLY look forward to having a Thunderbolt that can handle fiber optic cabling - the way it was originally designed (as LightPeak). We'll not only be fast but able to put our storage in the next room, or building, when we can use glass as the cabling. Over copper, which is what the Thunderbolt cables use today, we are limited to a couple meters, pretty much like everything else over copper.

That said, once widespread development of Thunderbolt devices gives some competitiveness to the market we'll see significant value. And having many product choices WILL make the pricing competitive - once more developers can get their hands on Thunderbolt technology. As of this point in time Intel, who controls the technology, has reserved all access to Thunderbolt to members of Apple Developer. So choices are pretty limited and expensive for now.

What will MacGurus being doing with Thunderbolt? As soon as Intel deems the rest of us worthy to purchase Thunderbolt chipsets we will be designing Thunderbolt Burlys and upgrades to convert existing Burlys to Thunderbolt. Drool worthy!

Rick

"I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

MacPro 8 Core Westmere, pair of 23 inch Cinema and a LogiTech Laser moose
Old 10-21-2011, 03:25 AM
Guru Forum Ruler

PCIe expansion cases? I realize the speed will be a limiting factor but as long as that's a known fact presale this could be something iMac owners have been deprived of

Core I7 Mini, 512GB SSD/2x Core2 Duo Mac Mini/PowerMac 8500g3/B&W G3 with G4 500 processor, iPhone, iPad
Old 10-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Guru Forum Ruler

An expansion box seems like going backwards, and less neat. Yes, they will be made, I think Sonnet already has one for Express34 cards. But the major reason that Thunderbolt will be useful is that almost any given device can be containable in a single box with just a simple pair of Thunderbolt ports on the back. And power of course.

I agree with that philosophy. There will be need for an expansion chassis, but the vast majority will want to plug directly in with just a few peripheral devices.

R

"I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Old 10-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Guru Moderator

" .....Firewire at 800 Mb/sec"

Should read 80, correct?

Nice write up.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:17 AM
Guru Forum Ruler

800Mb where the Mb is megabits not megabytes (MB) it makes the advertising weenies happy when they can print a bigger number

Core I7 Mini, 512GB SSD/2x Core2 Duo Mac Mini/PowerMac 8500g3/B&W G3 with G4 500 processor, iPhone, iPad
Old 10-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Guru Moderator

Hi Guys,

got my hands on one of the promise Pegasus drives and can confrim speeds in excess of 800MB/sec in raid 0.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Guru Forum Ruler

That's pretty cool. Expensive little bugger, the Promise. But that kind of speed has only been dreamed of on an iMac or MacBookPro before.

--Ben Franklin

Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Guru Moderator

or even mac mini!

Old 10-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Guru Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks View Post
An expansion box seems like going backwards, and less neat. Yes, they will be made, I think Sonnet already has one for Express34 cards.
R
Sonnet has announced Thunderbolt PCIe expansion boxes, one and two slot versions. I *think* they were supposed to ship originally around now, but their store shows shipping in Jan 2012.

Definitely less neat for storage, but for Minis, MBP, iMacs a sweet way to get capture and graphics cards, and the like hooked up to those slotless Macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greentree_uk View Post
or even mac mini!
Ooo that too! I need something, with 13" MBP and macmini, I'm noticing the wait with FW800 compared to eSATA, which I had with my old MBP with ExpressCard.

MBP 13" 2011 i7 2.7 Ghz -- Mac Mini Server 2011 i7 2.00 GHz -- Cube, Giga 1.3 GHz, Nvidia 6200 -- MDD Dual 1.25 Ghz, OEM ATI 9700, Sonnet/Firmtek SATA -- MDD Dual 1.0 GHz, ATI 9600, UL3D, Cheetah 15.3K, Siig SATA
Old 11-04-2011, 12:24 PM

Timely article. Thanks!

I was just doing some reading on Thunderbolt and USB3.0/SuperspeedUSB in comparison to eSATA. You just answered the Thunderbolt half of my questions. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Guru Forum Ruler

Glad to see it. Thanks for posting Ken.

Rick

--Ben Franklin

Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Guru Moderator

Quote:
What will MacGurus being doing with Thunderbolt? As soon as Intel deems the rest of us worthy to purchase Thunderbolt chipsets we will be designing Thunderbolt Burlys and upgrades to convert existing Burlys to Thunderbolt. Drool worthy!
I'm patiently waiting . . . wondering if there's been any movement in this area?

Maybe I'm impatiently waiting.

Definitely waiting.

iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core i7 w/ 16GB RAM 960GB SSD 10.8.5, & a Very Sweet Burly Hot Swap
Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Guru Forum Ruler

Intel licensed Thunderbolt exclusively to Apple for the first year. In turn, Apple gave exclusive access to selected members of Apple Developer group. That group has spent the last year doing what it can to turn a profit in a limited supply market.

Apple's exclusive license from Intel ends this month.

Now we get to see what everyone else can come up with. Ain't competition a wondrous thing?

Rick

--Ben Franklin

Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Guru Forum Ruler

Sonnet is finally actually shipping their Thunderbolt to PCIe expansion box.

Magma's version is not yet available.And still lists limitations on drivers for the Mac. (what's with that?)

We see product announcements left and right, but not much shipping.

Apple is selling the Promise overpriced RAID garbage on their build to order pages. If you like $600 hard drive modules (a $200 drive and a $40 tray = $600) then the Promise is for you.

ATTO is shipping a Thunderbolt hardware RAID card to us for testing in the next couple weeks. Like all ATTO hardware RAID cards it will run over a grand just for the card and the software (most of the money is in the software). This is probably the very highest quality product.

--Ben Franklin

Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Guru Forum Ruler

Anything for normal people? A TB hub maybe? Or a TB to DVI adapter with TB pass-thru, TB to SATA adapter also with TB pass-thru......

Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Guru Forum Ruler

BTW my previous statement "Anything for normal people" should in no way be construed to mean that I in any way consider myself to be 'normal'.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Guru Forum Ruler

Matrox at least announced a hub like what you describe.

Lacie, such as they are, has a hub as well. Seagate just bought controlling interest in LaCie - I would say that means LaCie product start deteriorating in quality except they did that long ago.

Western Digital bought GTech, that didn't do the products coming out of GTech any good either. They seem to get worse by the day.

--Ben Franklin

Old 06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Guru Moderator

That sounds kinda like, not really. Or, maybe not that kind of normal. I thought I heard July, as a time for expectations to develop into anticipation.

Damien, remember that normal is only a statistic not a reality.

iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core i7 w/ 16GB RAM 960GB SSD 10.8.5, & a Very Sweet Burly Hot Swap
Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Guru Forum Ruler

Seems the Belkin is the only one with TB pass thru and it doesn't have DVI. The Matrox HAS to be at the end of the TB chain as does the Apple TB monitor ... sad . And still no External SATA adapter to be seen. No proper hub.... one TB in and 4 TB out style hub.

I hate waiting... (you would think after those movies about Me that companies wouldn't want to keep Me waiting)

Old 06-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Guru Moderator

You would think that Rick would say something like: We will be coming out with - - - - in the near future for our Burleys, just to keep you happy Damien. I mean a little encouragement for you would go a long way, wouldn't it?