Storage Guides
 DeskTop Drive Setup
 Preparing New Drives
 Move Users 10.5 - 10.6

Port Multiplication Guide
Roll Your Own SATA
Hot Swap SATA Guide
Motherboard Layouts

Go Back   MacGurus Technical Forums > General Hardware and Software Discussions > Networking and Security

Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Guru Moderator

Default 802.11g or n

I am about to embark on a wireless set up for a friend. I'm wanting to keep the costs down. There will be DSL service on one side of the house and the computer on the other. I don't care to crawl in the basement and string telephone wire. The DSL service with CenturyLink (seems) to require certain "types" or "brands" of Modems. This I am clueless about. If I use their required modem, it does come with wireless. But its 802.11g. My understanding is that this has lower security, is that true? Or is the only difference between 802.11g & n the bit rate?

It just came out that WPA has some major security flaws and the WPA2 is the way to go. Apple has recommended this for Airport setup. The afore mentioned modem does has WPA2. IF the 802.11g is a security issue then I plan on disabling the WiFi on it and connecting an Airport Extreme.

Tell me I don't need to crawl in the basement, unless I do.

iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core i7 w/ 16GB RAM 960GB SSD 10.8.5, & a Very Sweet Burly Hot Swap
Old 12-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Guru Forum Ruler

WPA2 is the 802.11i spec. Now WPA2 does in fact, need a special chip to support it and it is unlikely that any 802.11g based devices have that chip unless it is a very recent device made at the lower g spec to save $ and the chip was added to the device (at the factory) for security.

It can't hurt to try it out and see if it has WPA2 support.

You may want to use the Airport extreme anyway if he/she has any home networking going on as most DSL devices are 10baseT. Even my brand new AT&T Uverse fiber box is 10baseT. So I have a line out from it to a 1000baseT and everything that's wired on the giganet. Every thing that is except for my printer, which does not seem to like anything faster than 100baseT.

If you do decide to run cable under the house get a remote control 4x4 truck, tie the cable to it and drive that cable to the other side. That's the way we used to run cable above drop ceilings. Go slow... save the hijinks for out in the yard. We would then bill the customer for the truck ;-)

Core I7 Mini, 512GB SSD/2x Core2 Duo Mac Mini/PowerMac 8500g3/B&W G3 with G4 500 processor, iPhone, iPad
Old 12-31-2011, 12:21 AM
Guru Moderator

Thanks Damien! It's times like this that I wonder what I really do know. Seems the DSL modem world is limited by the producers and what they make for the service providers. If you get something they don't support your on you own and it's hard to find something they support for sale.

Crawling under the house might be faster than figuring out how not to.

iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core i7 w/ 16GB RAM 960GB SSD 10.8.5, & a Very Sweet Burly Hot Swap
Old 12-31-2011, 10:14 AM
Guru Moderator

Quote:
Crawling under the house might be faster than figuring out how not to.
LOL, Your probably right on that one.

2.9GHz QuadCore i5, 21.5" iMac, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, 1st gen iTouch dead Dual 1.6 Giga an IcyDock and my Guru's Burly
Old 12-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Guru Forum Ruler

That's great. "Crawling under the house might be faster than figuring out how not to."

I've tried both ways and much prefer the wired approach for longevity. Seems we're always working on wireless systems, resetting them, reconfiguring and finding dark holes of shadows right where you want to sit. Is nice not to HAVE to be connected to the wall though.

R

"I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

MacPro 8 Core Westmere, pair of 23 inch Cinema and a LogiTech Laser moose
Old 01-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Guru Moderator

Wireless keeps getting better and better. I would not run anything but a decent N router, for better speed sure, but mostly for better range. N is roughly double the range, especially if all devices connecting are N, and you can run only N.....not having be backwards compatible.

I have only ever dealt with a few DSL companies, but all I have been around could run any modern DSL modem......even though they did not want you to.

Reason I suspect: Mr. non-tech calls for help, and the DSL support monkey can follow their script on what/how to troubleshoot and reset. Your own modem.......you are on your own. Just how I like it.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Guru Moderator

Well I decided that I would spend 45 minutes driving to the next town over to get the darn thing. They wanted $100 from CenturyLink for the same modem. So I saved my friend $30 bucks and I don't have to crawl under her house.

On the CenturyLink web site they have the "modem Help" section listing all the modems that Qwest supported, they just took over recently. Some of the modems they had listed were so old they haven't been made in at least 5 years. The ones they listed as compatible on the for there service just about the same. I couldn't find one for sale anywhere I looked.

But after my 40 minute drive I got a real nice Actiontec (no negative comments please I just got the darn thing) Ndsl modem with, yes WPA2. I'm glad I persevered as a 802.11g might not have had the needed range. I had forgotten what was the differences between the 802.11g & n. Most likely don't know all of them anyway.

So come Wednesday the 85 yr old friend will have internet service for the first time. Might even upgrade her iMac to Lion.

Thanks for all the responses. Always nice to know someone knows.

Happy New Year

Old 01-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Guru Forum Ruler

Quote:
Well I decided that I would spend 45 minutes driving to the next town over to get the darn thing
Need to know he lives in Idaho - so he had to pack his snowshoes, a couple meals and a gun (for wolves). Good friend will do that to hook you to internet these days.

"I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

MacPro 8 Core Westmere, pair of 23 inch Cinema and a LogiTech Laser moose
Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Guru Moderator

Ya gotta have a BIG gun for the Idaho wolves and it weighs a bit. So after packing up all the stuff ya gotta stop for a meal. Then the drive is very hard work, heck harder than crawling under a house and stringing wire, here in Idaho. So there's the reason for the meals.

I'm hoping my centurylink stock goes up with this new internet subscription. Oh wait I don't own any stock, oops I shoulda bought some first.