Thread: G4-800DP Miles2/Cheetahs Performance

There have been so many troubling posts, such as mojen's, about Miles2 poor performance in New World Macs that I decided to work on that problem. Not totally solved but here is where I'm at.

Installed two Miles2 with firmware 1.06. One Miles2 driving two G2 X15s (ST318452LW) not RAIDed, one miles2 driving a 10k Cheetah U160 LVD (ST39204LW). Results with SoftRAID or the Apple driver v8.1.4 (OS9.2.1) or EPT 2.7, ATTO test 8MB, 2 Cache Segments, no System Disk Cache, either X15, Sustained Read 58+MB/s, Sustained Writes 10+MB/s, OUCH!

The 10k Cheetah, any of the three drivers, SR 35MB/s, SW 10MBs, another OUCH.

Contacted Bob McWilliams at Initio this morning. He said that with New World Macs, particularly G4 Digital Audio and later, there is a PeeCee PCI command in the firmware that causes the problem and is not to be used by Macs. He said to update the Firmware with the OS X download, which can also be updated in OS9.2.x. I did that and the results were far better for sustained writes.

Either X15, Sustained Read 58+MB/s, Sustained Writes 45MB/s.
    The 10k Cheetah, SR 35MB/s, SW 35MBs.

Two notes here. This is still not as fast for a New World Mac as the ATTO UL3D, which I benched a single G2 X15 at PR-107.34, SR-058.86, PW-095.43, SW-060.58MB/s (One G2 X15 on UL3D firmware 1.50). And UL3D firmware 1.64 is somewhat faster yet. Second, I striped the two G2 X15s and the thruput was slightly less than a single X15, OUCH again! I sent the details to Bob at Initio for his analysis and will see him at Macworld SF. k

Kaye, your hardware expertise is priceless!! (That must be why MaGurus doesn't pay you anything ) I love hangin' here with you.

Regards

Thanks MM. Feeling is mutual. I forgot to mention that Bob says he will have a RAID there. Anxious to see it in action. k

Instead of the previous config of two striped G2 X15s on one Miles2, I reconfigured for two Miles2 with two G2 X15s, one on each Miles2, Initio firmware v3.06 on both Miles2, SoftRAID v2.2.2.

Results for sustained reads (ATTO EPT bench, 8MB, 2 Cache Segments, no System Disk Cache) better at 81MB/s. Sustained writes still bad at 41MB/s, less than one X15. Firmware v3.06 still needs work.

I noticed during the writes tests that the drives were being accessed alternately, not simultaneously, which combined with RAID overhead would explain the sustained writes problem. Firmware v3.06 increases sustained writes for a single drive to acceptable rates, but needs work for a striped RAID. Sustained reads drives access is simultaneous, no problem there. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 06 January 2002).]

Thank you so much for following up on this! You folks are the best. I'm going to hang on to my Miles2 card, and maybe Initio will address the issue one day.

------------------
    --
    Mo Jen
    President
    Brickmistress Music and Sound Design
    http://www.brickmistress.com

mojen,

You are welcome. Your topic, along with numerous others, finally got me going. I will see Initio Bob and his RAID at Macworld SF. That RAID, if SCSI, should be interesting. k

Nuts! My post last week about Apple RAID disappeared when the Gurus server crashed. Anyway, pursuing the 2x Miles2, firmware 3.06, with one G2 X15 on each Miles2, I created an Apple striped RAID in OS10.1.2. Easy to do, no problems with it.

ATTO ExpressStripe bench utility:
    Sample Size 80MB
    Max Transfer Size 8MB

Results (reads only):
    Maximum 88.89MB/s
    Average 85.02
    Minimum 78.45

One Miles2, one G2 X15, Apple driver:

Results (reads only):
    Maximum 57.54MB/s
    Average 54.46
    Minimum 50.20