Thread: Installation of ST318417N

I purchased an ST318417N drive from the Gurus and it arrived Wednesday. I installed it into my 8500, where it replaced the stock ST32151N Hawk. One thing I had a question on, and even e-mailed Gurus support about (but never received a reply) was how to configure the terminator power. I ended up downloading the specs for the ST32151N, so I could see how things matched up with the new drive. I compared the settings on the Hawk when I pulled it to how stuff was on the ST318417N. I hope I did this right, but just wanted to check.

The Hawk had jumpers on Terminator Enable, Term. Power from Drive and Term. Power to SCSI Bus. The ST318417N had a jumper missing from Term. Power to SCSI Bus, so I added a jumper in this location.

I haven't had a chance to initialize the new drive, but the Mac does powerup and the drive powers on.

Did I do this correctly?

[This message has been edited by TriPhaze (edited 17 January 2002).]

The SCSI controller on the MB supplies term power to the bus. There is no need for the drive to duplicate that (and sets up potential for problems with two sources or term. power to the bus).

You only need two jumpers (possibly three if you select a device ID other than "0").

1) The new drive replaces the existing, lone HD on the SCSI bus so it should be installed using the last connector on the Ribbon Cable, and set to provide termination for the far end of the bus (the SCSI controller terminates the MoBo end). Set the jumper on "TE" - termination enable.

2) Since the bus provides the Termination power, the device should be set to draw term. power from the bus. Set a jumper horizontally across the bottom two pins of TP-1 and TP-2.

3) the default device SCSI ID on the drive is "0". This is the ID first checked at startup on the SCSI bus, for blessed system folder (which makes it a drive that qualifies as a startup disk). Apple "convention" has a hard disk connected at the end of the SCSI ribbon, providing bus termination, and given the ID #0. It CAN be set for any unused ID#, 0-6 (#7 being preassigned to the SCSI controller, #3 to the CD drive) that you want to use. Leave it at the default ID "0" so you don't confuse some future owner or tech. - No jumper needed.

[This message has been edited by gt (edited 18 January 2002).]

gt, thanks for the information. I wonder why the Hawk had the termination set as the following:

The Hawk had jumpers on Terminator Enable, Term. Power from Drive and Term. Power to SCSI Bus.

ST318417N had a jumper missing from Term. Power to SCSI Bus, so that's why I added a jumper in this location.

After sending a second e-mail to Gurus support and not receiving a reply, I called them, was told I would receive a call from a technician, but never did. So much for the Gurus supposed legendary support. I am very upset over this and would not have purchased my drive from the Gurus if I knew I would've been treated the way I was.

Out of desperation I called Seagate and they confirmed I had configured the ST318417N correctly.

Gordon Hawley

Hey Gordon,
    I bought some ram that didn't work in a iMac of a friends last spring. I traded emails and phone calls with Deb. When it got to the point that she and I didn't know what to do she immediatly hooked me up with the magician who instantly resolved the issue.

I found them honest and busy yet willing to do extra to resolve any issues I have ever had. That was the first dealing I had that the product didn't work. They paid to ship the ram three times back and forth as well as tested it and emailed me test results.

If you need answers NOW then the person to email is deb@macgurus.com.

I don't know how many people are employed at The Gurus but it can't be many, just one person off sick would throw out most of their rapid response capability I'd bet. Deb is one busy office goddess but I bet she'll take care of you if your in need.

Or, and this you did do, get on the forum and many 'technicians' will answer your questions or at least monitor the way your question was answered. I am sure that many people saw the answer that Greg gave to your configure question and found it answered perfectly.

I have no idea how come the original Hawk drive had term pwr enabled. Wouldn't surprise me if the drive doesn't support terminator power and so it doesn't matter, or it may have been a Seagate configuration error when it was shipped to Apple. The only time you want terminator power enabled is if you are on a host card that doesn't supply term power or you have an exceptionally long scsi chain and testing reveals the need for more power at the end of the chain.

You got the best narrow drive money can buy. If there's anything my meager knowledge can help you with give a yell and I'll try my best or find someone who can solve it.

Rick

Hey TP,

gt is spot on about your drive settings. The reason the Hawk is NOT set up right (I have an 8500 and still use the original Hawk, reset as gt tells you) is that Seagate sets up the drives with default settings for a PC. Again, follow gt's guide for use in your mac. The mac mother board and all PCI SCSI controllers I know of supply term power to the bus and there should NOT be a second source of power on that bus.

Note: any slight difference in voltages between two power sources on the bus will create a current that should not be there.

Gordon, my sincere apologies for the lack of responsiveness on our part.

We usually work pretty well under a heavy duty load, but are currently a bit shorthanded. The circumstances of which are neccessary, and can't be helped for the time being.

Despite how it may appear, I assure you, we VERY MUCH appreciate your business. We do stand behind what we sell, and are there for you in that capacity, albeit admittedly, a little slow right now. We are working on it.

warm regards,

Dave Yates

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 20 January 2002).]

Guys, thanks for responses. The Barracuda is running OK the way I initially configured it, but on your advice, I will adjust the termination settings so that it draws power from the chain.