Thread: Frustration

I've had a frustrating time this last week. ie,

added ATTO UL3S - single channel, but it shows external as another SCSI bus number. I take it that means that 0-6 is on one ID and 8-15 is on another?

ATTO UL3S "may" not like having the 2940U2B. At least not internal units.

My 4-position Granite internal cable won't work. Period. The 3-position does, but neither seems as reliable as a twisted pair that I got earlier. No sign of pins bent or trouble attaching cable to drive. Power connectors are tight.

X15 2G Cheetah 18GB. Trying to add to two Atlas 10k II's. Tried using SoftRAID but seems to get along best using Drive Setup 2.0.7.

That twisted pair cable never worked off the 2940U2B - at all, funny that the ATTO will and the numbers are fine and seems good. I also pulled the 2930CU which is now used just for a scanner.

Problems: Boots but then a grey screen or get to where desktop would show up and a blank menu bar, but stops there. Seems like having virtual memory may actually help.

System was running fine actually previously running 9.2.1.

I moved the Atlas drives from external case to internal. Pulled the Cheetah 10k to make room for the X15. The X15 was noisy - unusually so that I even thought I should call and see if this is normal noise or if I should return/exchange.

Freezes, Desktop and Finder trouble. Sounds like termination or something. Which is why I have swapped cables where I can. Trouble finding the boot volume.

I unmirrored my boot volume to simple volume (hfs+) but that doesn't help. Thought maybe ATTO + 9.2.1 on my B&W G3 w/ XLR G4/500 didn't get along.

When it works it is fine, but every time I add/remove a drive, change cable, attach external drive, it changes. This all began last Thursday.

Zap PRAM, OF, etc. It sounds or seems as if getting power to the drives might be a problem but the cables are snug. I've ordered some external cases, cables, to move stuff outside. I've considered yet more granite internal cables but none of them are more than six months and can't see the need - just throwing more money at it. If I could find a pinch or sign of defect that would actually help.

I've got five drives, 4 different models, I wanted to use the 2940U2B for my backup external drive(s), or maybe one internal and put two internal on ATTO UL3S.

Mac OS 9.2.1 + SoftRAID or Drive Setup 2.0.7, X15 2G Cheetah - something in that combination isn't working perfectly. And I suspect SOFTRAID at this point.

Gregory

Hi Gregory..... What version of SoftRAID are you running? 2.2.2? I assume you are using OSX on that machine. If not, you may have some luck with SoftRAID under OS 9.1

SoftRAID only claims SoftRAID 2.2.2 compatability up to OS 9.1.

Remember, those Granite cables are guaranteed for life. If you're sure they don't work, don't be squeamish about using the warranty.

The X15, when started makes a short "brrrrrrrrrrrp" and then clickity click, actually, fairly quiet, although after the "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrp" it almost sounds like a jet engine spinning up.

You're right, it does sound like termination, although, and I have no informed reason for saying this because I've not used it, but I can't help but wonder if things would feel a bit steadier with OS 9.1 I'm using 9.0.4, mostly because I'm too lazy to mess with the upgrade right now.

Let's see what Kaye, or one of the other guys thinks.

Gentleman? Suggestions?

c8

Batsignal invoked to Kaye!

p.s. Make sure you are using the right ATTO firmware (I think 1.6.3, but check the ATTO page here at MacGurus, and go down to "Compatability Issues")

Also, have you tried changing the order your PCI cards are in? For sure try the ATTO in slot 1 if you haven't tried it there yet.

Sit tight, others should be along presently.......

c8

1AM and can't sleep trying to figure this one out.

I formatted the Cheetah with Drive Setup 2.07. Just for fun I decided to run Norton (6.02 and there were only minor errors. Fine. So then I ran just the media test. And it froze up 20-25% through. Not good. So when I booted again (maybe from CD) I ran Drive Setup's Test to scan for bad blocks. None. (this X15 is just that, a rocket).

I'm waiting for 10.1 before I (re)install - every drive has been wiped and formatted clean. There may be something software to some of this, but not all.

What I just did to see if it helps is set extensions to 9..2.1 All and reinstall so I can see how it works w/o any 3rd party modifications.

SoftRAID is 2.2.2. FWB HDT 4.5 was poor performance (uses generic and isn't updated for the new Cheetahs so that's out). When I shutdown Tuesday I thought I was "out of the woods." Only the next morning I had trouble with the desktop not showing. Just the white of the menu bar with no menus and no disks.

I had some of the SoftRAID volumes show, but not the stripe RAID. Maybe 9.2 throws it a curve. Maybe SCSI Probe 5.2 was enabled and shouldn't be. It shows the ATTO board as having two buses, at least it shows up twice.

I just ordered some of those double brackets so I can put some drives in a bracket and not have to deal with changing that as much. A couple single drive cases.

Only thing I don't have is diagnostic tools or terminators. Something to test a cable or terminator more than to test a drive. I'll have to look into that for my shopping list for October maybe.

The Cheetah definitely sounds more like you describe when I used Drive Setup, but not when I formatted it with SoftRAID and installed 9.2.1 but my Quantum Atlas has SoftRAID and they sound fine. So just as FWB isn't updated for these Cheetahs, it seems that SoftRAID just reads from the drive geometry and should be fine, but maybe there is some interaction. But that should show up as more people buy and test these units.

I will check with Deb on the cable situation and see about a replacement unit.
    Thanks,

Gregory

ATTO firmware is 1.64f1 (current). I had the card in J9 (4th slot in B&W) but with the terminator sitting on top of the drive (three drives on bottom and cable goes from ATTO to far left, middle, then dual bracket on right) I moved the ATTO out of the last slot - its normal position, and up one slot. I had two Adaptec cards and pulled both to reduce potential for trouble. 2940 and 2930.

I actually tried to write down all the things I've tried and what happened. The hard part is making sense.

Too wired to sleep...

Gregory

Gregory,

In my G4-800DP with ATTO UL3D in PCI slot 1, OS9.2.1, what I have tried so far:

1. One or two G2 X15s (ST318452LW), singly and striped off of one channel or both channels. No problems with any of these configs, using Granite LVD stuff.
    2. SoftRAID 2.2.1 and 2.2.2, no problem with either.
    3. ATTO UL3D firmware 1.50 and 1.64, no problem with either but 1.64 faster.

Which model Granite LVD terminator do you have? And model number of the Granite LVD cable? k

GD2015 68-pin MicroD LVD Dual Mode Terminator
    GD4700 Four 68MD on 34-inch LVD Ribbon

Right now I'm using this:

GD1200 Three 68MD on 26-inch LVD Ribbon Cable

and the GD2015 and just two drives.

To hook up three drives I use the twisted pair cable for 4 drives (three really to close the door on Yosemite).

Booting for now is off an external drive that has time to warm up before booting.

I'd like to see the GD4700 have just another inch between plugs to fit with more play in the cable.

I had the Cheetah on the top of the 2-drive bracket so I could hide some cable underneath but couldn't close the lid because the terminator sat on top and up against the ATTO and cable with the card in last slot.

9.2.1 has made some changes in length of startup before anything happens even w/o this. And the Cheetah I bought last week has sounded too loud too often but only when formatted with SoftRAID driver, yet not Drive Setup 2.0.7. Sounds like coincidence I'm sure.

I even used the FoxConn cable from the 2940U2B just to be sure everything was in working order. So that one GD cable does seem lost.

I'll know more tomorrow or over the weekend when I can put the Cheetah in its own case and when I have some spare brackets so I can pull the IDE pair and put in another drive w/o having to reuse the bracket. Not good.

I tried putting the Cheetah on the shorter GD cable and two other drives on another cable and the 2940U2B and that didn't seem to work well, but it really should have.

Putting drives in an external drive case off the 2940U2B I was able to copy files to Cheetah on the ATTO internally. But internal to internal? No go. I worry that a PCI slot could be bad or something else that is causing mystery symptoms.

And even three drives shouldn't be stretching the power requirements.

Gregory

Gregory,

If you are satisfied that the GD4700 cable is bad, I have a suggestion, because I have had one of their cables no good out of the box. It was a 50-pin green cable but...

Even though I could have taken advantage of the Gurus 30-day return/exchange priviledge, I called Granite (you could email) and explained the problem. I also asked if they could provide a couple more inches to the replacement. I was given an RMA number for return and asked to put a note in the box about what I wanted for length.

A new custom cable with 4" more was returned to me, no charge for anything except my costs for shipping the RMA cable to them. Nice! Of course, YMMV. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 06 September 2001).]

Kaye,

Thanks I'll get in touch with them - I'm out of the 30 day period for sure - I thought for sure it must be my computer or something else rather than a bad cable. One reason why I bought a 2nd Granite cable. The twisted pair is so flexible and has just enough more between connectors to make it an easier fit.

"System hangs at Desktop with no hard drives...." I found an article on ATTO site "Troubleshooting SCSI Host Adapter in a Mac" that seems to fit what was/is happening to a "T". Moving PCI cards and attaching or chaning the mix of drives. Moving a drive from one bus to another (external to internal does change the full bus/ID that Open Firmware's Device Tree Registry builds. Zapping PRAM and/or OF to build a new tree directory. ie, I confused the system totally by moving cards and removing the 2940U2B and drives.
    http://www.attotech.com/macscsi.html

I had printed it out a month ago but couldn't find it until I threw up my hands, gave up, and had to fish for slaes receipts and stuff. Most all the problems I saw are identified.

Gregory