Thread: Is Ultra SCSI mean narrow?

The reason I'm asking if Ultra SCSI is the same as a narrow drive or 50 pin connector is that I'm looking into a new CD-R to replace my existing CD ROM in my 9500. I was leaning towards the Plextor 12/10/32S, but not sure if the connection is 68 pin rather than 50 pin. Sorry if this is a newbie question, SCSI terminology is so confusing.

BTW: Has Plextor decided not to make SCSI versions of their latest burners? The fasters burners only seem to come in ATAPI and firewire interfaces.

Dan

[This message has been edited by dimsumboy (edited 17 August 2001).]

Ultra SCSI can mean either Ultra narrow or Ultra Wide. It normally refers to the all encompassing SCSI-3 spec. Ultra narrow is what you want to go with - narrow MEANS 50pins. Wide is always 68pins. SCA is always 80pins (you dont want this one).

UltraWide SCSI (40MB/s - Single Ended/SE) is outdated and you would NEED an old outdated SCSI card for this anyway. Since the data rates of CD-ROMS, DVDs and burners is not normally over about 7MB (even at 40x) you really do not need more than a FAST SCSI2 (10MB/s) or UltraNarrow SCSI (20MB/s) bus. I have my 40x Plextor reader hooked up to my PTPro's stock internal SCSI bus - it works great.

LVD (low voltage differential) is the current standard in SCSI - this is almost ALWAYS 68pin (wide) SCSI and has a bandwidth of from 80MB/s (Ultra2 - LVD) to 160 and 320MB/s (Ultra3). For some reason I have never seen an LVD DVD, burner or CD ROM and this is annoying. LVD cards can handle about 15 drives with the right cabling - try doing that on a IDE/ATA card!

The last SCSI burner I bought was a 4x. Now I only buy Firewire burners... they work pretty good.

------------------
    Life in the fast lane leads to:
    The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

Please Dragon - the word is RESTAURANT!!

Baggy: You do realize that "restaurant" is the most commonly misspelled word in the English language?

It's a toughy, that word. After butchering it repeatedly, I sat down and burned it into my memory that it had a rant at the end, and then I could always remember.