Thread: Taking an 8600 for a drive

I have a 8600/300 Power Mac in which I recently installed an XLR8 G3 card [which is working perfectly] and am now interested in adding an additional internal hard drive. My main concern here is ease of installation. What are my options?
    thanks

Lots of options..

You can install a second SCSI drive off your main SCSI chain rather easily - harder to find narrow SCSI drives though
    - inexpensive and easy

You could install a SCSI accelerator card and run a much faster LVD drive off of it
    - more expensive (purchase card and drive)

You could install an IDE drive controller card and put an IDE drive in if you want...
    - in between options 1 and 2

Depends on $$$ and what you plan on doing down the road.

Chris

Perhaps I should clarify a bit.
    I do not have elaborate needs. I'm using the 8600 for Photoshop exclusively....so I'm looking for file storage. I'm running 9.1 OS....and I already have an Epson scanner connected to the SCSI port of the 8600. Although I have already installed the accelerator and a PCI card that is just about the extent of my technical expertise so much of the [alpha/numeric] technical lingo escapes me.
    thanks

If you ever upgrade to a G4or something you may want to be able to take your storage system with you. How many internal drive bays are free? or external? Grow as you go? Satisfied with performance and just want storage? Need a fast scratch disk?

Usually the words "Photoshop" and RAID go together, along with G4 card and RAM. Get one 15k 36GB drive and a controller. Add a 2nd drive later. Put one on each channel, or ATTO Ul3S. Even one of the Specials from front page (2940U2B @ $89 ea) to cut cost or the Miles2 (maybe swap internal cables etc for external and terminator).

There are the ATA/100 cards coming out and cheap IDE drives. The review on StorageReview.com of ATA/100 RAID is worth looking at and add 2 IDE drives for $500 total. Being hard RAID you don't need software like SoftRAID. But you might want to spend that on Cheetah 36GB and get same performance but with potential of adding another drive later.

I think the terminology and parts seem daunting to me (LVD, SE) and the need for proper Granite Digital terminators and cable. Although you really shouldn't cut corners, external cables can be scary (nice long lasting and reliable and noise-error free).

IDE will never be SCSI but for many it is an option. I think settling on what controller to go with, Sonnet ATA/100 IDE or ATTO or Miles2. I don't even use my IDE drives and controller anymore.

Gregory

If you are not a speed freak, you could just ad a nice 18gb Narrow Seagate to your chain from Gurus. About $220 dollars. Plugs right into Narrow Fast SCSI. If you upgrade you machine to a new generation G4 though, you loose this hard drive.

If you have some money to invest, and make a living with your computer, and maybe see yourself upgrading to a G4, or any G3 mac without internal fast SCSI, I'd get at least a Miles U2W and one Seagate Barracuda Ultra 160 drive or a Seagate Cheetah Drive.

Even with just one Ultra 160 Seagate Drive running off of the U2W card, you will see a tremendous improvement in Disk Performance. With 2, running in an array, you'll be even more pleased.

Be sure to look under the SCSI pages of doom on the Macgurus site. Lots of good SCSI Info. With a little research, you will figure out the nomenclature U2W LVD Ultra 160 Voodoo chants.

Keep us posted

Or, plug that UltraNarrow dive into a BlueNote and get about 18 MB/s.

for ease of installation, it is tough to beat a single narrow drive. Seagate makes the last one available new on the market today. They are listed on our Seagate page at $200 and change.