Thread: My UW dilema - Help - Suggestions Please

Greetings all knowledgeable and helpful Guru's FOrum Members.

I have an Old 7500, Running a carrier Zif with a 400mhz Zif. I have an UW Jackhammer that has been hosting 2 internal 9 Gig Barracudas. Recently, I aquired an external enclosure with 2 9 gig UW Cheetahs. They are Half height devices, and capable of heating a small office in the dead of winter. The enclosure is nice, 2 fans, good cabling.

I would like to take my barracudas and hook them up to the internal Fast SCSI, and hang the 2 Cheetahs off the back of my Jackhammer, as the Older Jackhammer will not support both internal and external UW devices at the same time.

I am trying to do this without spending much money, if any, as the drives are older, and were a gift from a former employer. (NOT STOLEN!) If I had money to spend I would get at least a U2W card from Miles and some new cheetahs, and put it all in a really nice Gurus Burly enclosure. I would like to 1: get an adapter for the drives so I keep the cheetahs internal and run them off the Fast SCSI internally, or find a UW SCSI card that will support internal and external devices at the same time.

Any suggestions??? Like to hear from the brain trust that reads these pages

I have a Umax E100 card which is a JackHammer UW plus Ethernet 100. I can use both the internal and external 68-pin connectors according to the manual.

Least expensive solution would be a JackHammer which supports using both connectors, perhaps eBay. And you are sure that your JackHammer does not support both? k

Hi kingbe,i happen to have a U2W Miles that i want to sell,it is in brand new conditions,new Initio internal cable w. terminator,i would be very
    accomodating for the price,just make me an offer
    if you're interested email me at: bonumusic@adelphia.net
    regards
    carlo

Hi ya Kingbee,
    One other thought as to a inexpensive U2 card, how 'bout the Apple/Adaptec card selling for 90 bucks on the front page of the Gurus? I have one in a 8600 and it's OK. Won't blaze, but gives solid performance with internal and external connectors.
    Rick

I agree with Kaye. My Jackhammer would work with both ports. If it's the Apple OEM version, there is a sticker covering the external port. This was because Apple's intended use in the FileServer was to drive internal drives only.

My Jackhammer says SE on it, andit has a 50 pin SCSI interface inside as well as 68pin. It may not be UW after all. It came with the machine a long time ago.

Where on Macgurus FTP can I find the ATTO benchmark utility? What is the file called.

Under old HDT 3.0.2 I get sustained Reads and Writes of 12 - 13 MB - Old stuff indeed

Thanks

[This message has been edited by kingbee (edited 23 August 2001).]

Find ATTO Pro Tools 2.6 here: ftp://ftp.macgurus.com/atto_stuff/ .

The JackHammer SE is UW. It also has a 50 pin connector for UltraNarrow (Fast 20)

You don't give details of your system, but if it's modern, you may be walking on thin ice. The JackHammer is unsupported past OS 9.02 and FWB HDTK 3.02 has been incompatible for so long that my memo fails me (someone please refresh my memory). Running incompatible disk drivers and/or outmoded SCSI hosts/firmware/ driver is like waiting for a train wreck to happen.

Louie, thanks for the Link

System Details -

7500 w/ Carrier ZIf Apple 350 Mhz G3 running 397@53mhz Bus
    OS 9.1 -
    Jackhammer SE with 2 - 9gig bararcudas
    Formatted with Apple 9.1 Drivers
    ATI Rage 128 VR
    Generic 1394/USB Card (USB works, 1394 will capture, but not export to camera, iMovie will export to quicktime)

I will test and see if I can use bot internal and external at same time

Still can not format one of the Cheetahs, as the pair was striped together in an NTFS Volume on Winblows NT. They would combine for 26MB/sec on a Pinnacle Realtime Video Editing system. Fat 32 NTFS BLAH Blah ........running off a UW COntroller. Both devices show up, but when I go to format, I get a Device not ready error. Looking for info on HD Speedtools from Intech as well. I read another post that said it could take over many types of disk drivers.

Thanks

Kaye, I think, can tell you how to use the Configuration tool in FWB HDTD 3 (I think it's missing in v 4.x) to change some settings on that drive that was bastardized for a PC that will allow you to initialize it. Please don't use FWB 3.02 drivers with 9.x!

No FWB Drivers anymore.