Thread: My UW dilema - Help - Suggestions Please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Greetings all knowledgeable and helpful Guru's FOrum Members.

I have an Old 7500, Running a carrier Zif with a 400mhz Zif. I have an UW Jackhammer that has been hosting 2 internal 9 Gig Barracudas. Recently, I aquired an external enclosure with 2 9 gig UW Cheetahs. They are Half height devices, and capable of heating a small office in the dead of winter. The enclosure is nice, 2 fans, good cabling.

I would like to take my barracudas and hook them up to the internal Fast SCSI, and hang the 2 Cheetahs off the back of my Jackhammer, as the Older Jackhammer will not support both internal and external UW devices at the same time.

I am trying to do this without spending much money, if any, as the drives are older, and were a gift from a former employer. (NOT STOLEN!) If I had money to spend I would get at least a U2W card from Miles and some new cheetahs, and put it all in a really nice Gurus Burly enclosure. I would like to 1: get an adapter for the drives so I keep the cheetahs internal and run them off the Fast SCSI internally, or find a UW SCSI card that will support internal and external devices at the same time.

Any suggestions??? Like to hear from the brain trust that reads these pages

I have a Umax E100 card which is a JackHammer UW plus Ethernet 100. I can use both the internal and external 68-pin connectors according to the manual.

Least expensive solution would be a JackHammer which supports using both connectors, perhaps eBay. And you are sure that your JackHammer does not support both? k

Hi kingbe,i happen to have a U2W Miles that i want to sell,it is in brand new conditions,new Initio internal cable w. terminator,i would be very
    accomodating for the price,just make me an offer
    if you're interested email me at: bonumusic@adelphia.net
    regards
    carlo

Hi ya Kingbee,
    One other thought as to a inexpensive U2 card, how 'bout the Apple/Adaptec card selling for 90 bucks on the front page of the Gurus? I have one in a 8600 and it's OK. Won't blaze, but gives solid performance with internal and external connectors.
    Rick

I agree with Kaye. My Jackhammer would work with both ports. If it's the Apple OEM version, there is a sticker covering the external port. This was because Apple's intended use in the FileServer was to drive internal drives only.

My Jackhammer says SE on it, andit has a 50 pin SCSI interface inside as well as 68pin. It may not be UW after all. It came with the machine a long time ago.

Where on Macgurus FTP can I find the ATTO benchmark utility? What is the file called.

Under old HDT 3.0.2 I get sustained Reads and Writes of 12 - 13 MB - Old stuff indeed

Thanks

[This message has been edited by kingbee (edited 23 August 2001).]