Thread: Firewire/USB card Ratoc Chipset

I hear a lot of discussions about chipsets opn Firewire boards and am curious as to which chipset the RATOC board uses.

NEC, TI, Lucent??

Does anyone have any experience to share with a USB/FIrewire card? I am running a PM 7500 with a carrier zif and 400MHZ G3 older UW SCSI Barracudas and CHeetahs. Will primarily be using the card for video capture.

Some info here http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/firewire/...mbo_cards.html and apparently the RATOC uses the NEC FireWire controller chip. k

I too was interested in the chipset being discussed...after the forum on XLR8yourmac seemed to be concluding that the NEC chipset shoulod be avoided as it is MUCH slower than the TI (6MB/sec slower), and that the Lucent set in the COMP USA product was perhaps a better way to go as well.
    This was, however, quite old info, dating somewhere in the middle of 2000, and perhaps RATOC has changed things. After all, there was no mention of a power cable from the board to the power supply back then, so i think this is new to the Ratoc board within the last year?
    Besides, your own GURU description of the Ratoc talks about rather higher speeds than the tests that Mike Breeden did on the card a year ago.
    I like the 15 watt power feed (Rocketfire lists 9 watts on their site for their combo card.) And the internal FW port is potentially cool, but arent firewire drives much slower than a Cheetah??
    There is too much speculation here.
    Right now I just want to plug my digital (usb) camera into my Powerwave G3450

And the internal FW port is potentially cool, but arent firewire drives much slower than a Cheetah??
    SInce you 'asked' - Yes.
    The 10K Cheetah should have a throughput of about 35 ~ 40MB/s
    The 15K Cheetah should have a throughput of about 45 ~ 50MB/s
    A firewire drive is simply a converted IDE/ATA drive. The old design would allow it to run about 15MB/s. The new design allows about 25MB/s. Of course the avg seek times are higher for IDE/ATA than SCSI too...

They are nice though - esp those POCKET drives!

------------------
    Life in the fast lane leads to:
    The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

Called MacWorks, and the rep said that they could no longer get the Rocketfire PCI USB/FW combo card. She thinks it is no longer being produced, and they are looking for another card to offer. They still can get other Rocketfire products, though.

Also tried to find out a bit on the "new" PowerLogix combo card. Very little info available yet about details like power connection, and wattage. It does have a two Lucent chips on the board (as seen on the pdf download picture).

Just got an e-mail from Meltdown that their Rocketfire designed combo card is now being sold by VST direct on their web page for $139.99. (vsttech.com)

Also, thank you for the info about the SCSI drives!

Is anyone using a combo card in a 7500 SUccesfully with iMovie?? If so which card?