Thread: Nikon Coolscan IV with DualPort USB

Strange. Got a new Nikon Coolscan (the "cheap" one with the USB interface). Works GREAT with the Ti PB at work. Scans are less than 20 s. IMPRESSIVE. But it's mine so now I'm trying to get it to work at home where it belongs. My machine is a 7500 with 256 RAM, upgraded with an XLR8 400 MHz G3, and an XLR8 DualPort USB and an IX Micro video card. Nikon software has been updated to version 3.1. Nikon claims there is a problem with 8.6 through 9.0.4 (the scan window won't open, duh...) but that 9.1 is fine. I've GOT 9.1 on this machine and the scan window STILL doesn't open. Not good. Is it possible it's the DualPort? Anyone know? Should I can ask XLR8?

Jim

Your 7500 and DualPort need USB Adapter Card Support 1.4.1 here http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n2238

Have you installed it? Also some good tips/troubleshooting in the above link. k

Yes, I've installed 1.4.1 but thanks for the link. I'll look there tonight. Meanwhile, if anyone else has suggestions, please shout. Thanks.

Well, a quick followup. Borrowed a friend's Ratoc card (USB and Firewire) and the scanner worked without a hitch (everything else the same). Wonder why the XLR8 DualPort USB doesn't work? XLR8 folks are gods but maybe there's something they missed here? Pity. I've written them once and need to let them know about the latest. Moral: With the Nikon Coolscans, use a Ratoc card if you need USB.

On a possibly related note, I believe that the Firewire cards supplied with the Nikon Coolscan 4000 & 8000 are made by Ratoc Systems. Maybe Nikon has tested their new Coolscans more extensively with Ratoc products?