Thread: Won't boot from Miles2/Cheetah!!??

Just installed the Miles2/Cheetah combo. Works fine as long as it's just used as a Photoshop/documents disk. I put a copy of the system folder on there and rebooted. Nothing except a happy Mac staring at me for 5 minutes. I used SoftRAID 2.2.2, and SIM 1.06. What's up? Thanks!

Update: reinitialized Cheetah with Apple Drive Setup. Added system folder and rebooted. No problem! OK, so why can't I boot up with SoftRAID? It may be faster, but if it don't work.... OR... did I do something wrong?

What OS are you running?. What else is on your system?. Could be that somehow the start-up disk prefs were munged when you first set it up with SoftRAID and then were fixed later on...

Chris

Running 8.6, and will probably stay with it too. Unless someone could convince me otherwise. I'm open to suggestions, but right now, I'm just wondering why I can't boot up with SoftRAID as the driver.

What machine, and if it is a vintage Mac, is Miles2 in PCI slot 1? What, if any, jumpers do you have set on the Cheetah jumper pins? And what model Cheetah is it? You are using the Initio LVD cable and the LVD terminator installed on the end of the cable? The Miles2 card has three LEDs on the top right front edge with a pic of them on page 7 of the manual. Which LEDs are on? k

that is odd...have you checked here for more info?
    http://www.softraid.com/troubleshooting.lasso

k...
    What machine,... PowerWave (8500|
    is Miles2 in PCI slot 1? ... I have 3, from top to bottom, yes, it is on top. Would this be 1?

What, if any, jumpers do you have set on the Cheetah jumper pins?... None. Only one device on the card.
    And what model Cheetah is it? ...8.35GB Ultra 160
    You are using the Initio LVD cable and the LVD terminator installed on the end of the cable? ...I'm using what came with the card. It does terminate on the end.
    The Miles2 card has three LEDs on the top right front edge with a pic of them on page 7 of the manual. Which LEDs are on? ... Middle one is one, the one near the corner flickers when data is transfering. The other one, don't think I've seen it on yet.

Does this help? thanks. Chris

sounds to me like you may have forgotten to "bless" the system folder the first time.

there should be no problem initializing that drive w SoftRAID 2.2.2, then doing a clean-install of MacOS onto the drive. It should boot just fine.

Chris,

The reason I asked all those questions is that SoftRAID is extremely picky about everything being right. Everthing looks good except one of the LEDs. The top LED on the Miles2:

top LED: TERM ACT, active termination, I am going to check my PTP tomorrow. I'm almost positive that light should be on steady. Check the Initio LVD terminator pushed all the way on to the end of the cable. Better yet, pull it and check all the pins are straight, then reinstall.

The middle LED is LVD mode and should be on.

Bottom LED is SE, single ended, and should be off.

I have a few things that I have to do in the morning. Soon as I get them complete, I'll check that top LED on my PTP. k

Chris,

I checked from a cold boot to the desktop. Here is what I see on the LEDs.

top LED: TERM ACT, Active Termination. Results are not what I expected but here they are. From cold boot startup, LED on bright/continuous until the boot drive on the Miles2 begins I/O, then LED dim/cycling rapidly on and off as the startup screen and the inits march across the screen until at the desktop and startup complete, then LED is off. Strange result for an LED that should be showing Active Termination. I use Granite cables and terminator and the remote LED display shows Active Termination on throughout the entire process.

The middle LED is LVD mode and is bright/steady on all the time.

Bottom LED is SE, Single Ended, and is off all of the time.

So it looks as if your setup is OK. As magician asked, is the system folder blessed? k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 10 July 2001).]

Blessed huh? No, don't think I did that. But I did switch the Miles 2 card into another position. Fo me it's bottom, for vertical, I guess it would be on the left, not near the edge. It worked. But,... not reliably. I think that's cause of SoftRAID. Time to give up I guess. Going back to DriveSetup. I need dependibility. Why are the Gurus so hip on SoftRAID? Even my neighbor, who's a Guru wanna-be, admitts SoftRAID is not as stable as DS. Anyway,... kaye, thank you so much for your help. Chris

P.S. I really did try!

On the U2W cards there are 4 LED,s from the Top Act=Activity, Term=Termintion provided by the card in any form (High or Low), LVD=Low Votage Differentail signaling enabled, SE=Single Ended Mode (non LVD). Note SE and LVD are exclusive if both lights are on there is a problem.

Bob McWilliams
    Initio

I was just passing through and got my foot stuck in my mouth......I'll be going now....

cbphoto, download System Picker from the ru's ftp site if you want to play with it somemore.

c8

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 28 July 2001).]