Thread: Cheetah in a 7300

Hi, I've been offered a 9.2g Cheetah (10,000rpm) for my 7300. At present it has a 2gb standard drive - what am I going to have to add to fit this into the machine and can I keep both drives fitted?

You will need a Miles2 card since the Cheetah is likely an LVD model. That will include SoftRAID and the appropriate internal cable. You will also need a drive sled and some screws so that you can put it in to the lower bay in your machine (I'm assuming that you only have the stock hard drive + CD-ROM + floppy on that machine)

Chris

Thanks once again Chris, unfortunately I am not going to have any spare slots for another card so I guess I am going to have to pass this one up. Could you advise what the best option for an additional internal scsi drive would be?
    Thanks.

Bummer - ...

well - your next best shot is the narrow 'Cuda that the 'Gurus have...model:ST318417N
    http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...dseagates.html

that would be plug and play right into your lower bay - just make sure that your SCSI ID doesn't conflict with either your CD-ROM, or your original drive (use Apple System Profiler to get the current settings) and also ensure that your LAST device is terminated.. This should be easy since the stock drive is at the end of the chain so just make sure termination is off on your new one.

Just be sure to get a real narrow drive and not a SCA drive, the pitfalls of which are legion...

Chris

Chris, thanks for the advice - does this mean that a Fujitsu 9.1gb SCA drive with an 80 to 50 pin adaptor should be avoided?
    Thanks.

General consensus on the forum is to avoid the SCA + adapter route if at all possible. Even if the drives were free, you still have to buy a GOOD adapter (as opposed to a generic one) and you may still run into problems...

Better off going for the narrow Barracuda, IMO

HTH

Chris

Ok, you win, many thanks for saving me from myself!!

Best wishes

Tony

couldn't agree more.

I wish vendors would stop flogging SCA drives to the clueless masses.

Is this deprecating response aimed at me or the sellers?

The sellers. If you do a search for SCA drives on the Forums, you will see that we have advised and consoled about 20 people in the past few months who were working with SCA drives that they either got on eBay, secondhand, or were sold outright.

We want to help you with what you've got, and we just hate SCA drives b/c of all the hassle associated with them and the havoc they create when people retail them without mentioning that they are old, crappy, and designed for hot-swappable server setups.

Thank you.

...which is why I stopped sending people to one seller. They look for "narrow" drives and get SCA or 68-pin to narrow adapters - and very few "real" narrow drives. It needs to be in bold red when they do (at least hypermicro systems does when they do).