Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am determined to fix my CD problems

This is certainly not the first post i have made concerning problems i am having with my PTP trying to burn audio cd's or even read some cd's i KNOW i could once read with my set-up. I currently am running a ultraplex40 and a yamaha 6/4/16 both on the internal 10mb bus of my PTP. They are the only devices on that particular bus. The yamaha is fist and unterminated at ID#1 the plextor is next at ID#3 and i have a jumper over the Term pins. This seems to be a pretty staight forward set-up yet i am having trouble with almost eveything i do using the 2 drives. I have tried switching cables, so i don't think that is it. I am willing to try anything you wan't. I would consider purchasing GD cable if you think that would solve it....and i would consider buying a bluenote card if it makes sense to get the 2 on different scsi busses. I will try running one on the 5mb internal id that makes sense. i am running speedtools 5.7 and i have tried 5.6 I am using OS9.1 and Toast 4.1.3,,I will buy 5.0 if THAT seems to make sense. I have flashed both devices this week with current firmware to try and solve it....i would prefer to leave both devices internal, but i do have a cool "Sun 411" external case on the shelf if i have to either one outside.....i am assuming that should be the burner. i guess i am determined to solve this problem and need a "plan" to attack it and eliminate things. Other than that my computer seems to be running very smooth.

Louie is running his PTP on the internal SCSI bus with Apple 24x and a Yamaha. Let's see what he says. k

Tim:

I have my Yamaha 6416 in the top 5.25" slot and it is at the physical end of the ribbon cable for the 10 MB/s internal bus. It's ID is 1 and it is terminated. The jumpers are set like this: JxxxJx. This is ID 1 [first three pinsets from the left are for ID (1, 2, 4); fourth pinset is for party (off); fifth pinset is for termination (on); sixth pinset is for block size (off).

Have you flashed the Yamaha ROM to 1.0d?

Are you sure that the cable does not have a wire cut out. Many PTP's did.

My player is an Apple and has no terminatrion pins. That's why it's not at the end of the chain. The ID is 3 and all other jumpers are off, including the Termination Power jumper.

I can use Apple driver/ToastReader or CD/DVD SpeedTools 5.7 (it should show loading TWO drivers. I also use Toast 4.1.3 and 8.6, 9.04 and 9.1.

These are the only two devices on the bus.

You realize that the 5 MB/s bus also has an internal logic board connection don't you? No reason to use that except for a Zip maybe.

Can't help you with Plextor because I've never seen one.

Use SCSI probe to verify you ID settings and firmware.

Use the last connector on the cable to connect to the terminated device.

Try only one device on the bus at a time to see if one appears bad.

I use Imation 1x-8x CD-R's.

i am sure i do not have the cut-out onthe cable, however i am not sure that my plextor is using the last physical plug on that cable. i will pull it an check. i am at 1.oC on the yamaha firmware. i will check that as well to see if i can get it to flash to the D version. I tried last week and it hung after flashing, but that seems to be a yamaha bug. scsi probe did tell me something odd...on my 2 cheetahs, it gave me different version numbers.....005 and 006. i bought them at the same time....hmmmmmmmmmm.

I do see both devices loading with speedtools, and i have tried using the apple driver with toast reader with no change. i think tommorrow night i will pull both units and switch them on the bus to try the yamaha at the end.

well, we've got Plextors in virtually all beige machines here, and they work great with CDST.

when using them (and CDST) with burners, you do need to pay attention to your extensions......particularly with Toast.

we don't use Yamaha burners here. I don't particularly like them, though Louie has had good results with his, I believe.

i have been careful with the toast extensions.....it may be another random extension that is causeing the problem.i have not tried building a minimal set of extensions just for burning....i remember years ago using another program we needed to burn with most extensions off. While the ymamha is not in the same leaque as the plextors, i would have to say that outside the trouble i am haing at home i burn hundreds of cd's a month using the plextor as the cd-rom and an identical pair of yamaha's as burners that i have had zero problems with...bot unlike the generic sanyo's and teacs POS drives we used to get bundles into lacie cases!!!

Mag have you found toast 5 to a worthwhile update in terms of solidness?

That ROM flashing problem could certainly be something to worry about. I can mail you the 1.0d ROM if you want it.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 22 May 2001).]

I just finished the tear down and rebuilt everything paying extreme attention to detail....i was actually hoping that i might have inserted the term jumper on the plextor crooked or something, but that wasn't the case.....i switched positions of the 2 cd-roms and terminated the yamaha...i have not tried burning a CD sinmce i am beat from spending hours outside planting a new lawn....but i may try later tonight. The bad news is that i canot read the cd-rw that i have here. i can read it at work on a plextor but not at home...i am going to try to activate the toast reader to see if i can choose Mount cd fom the drop down menu...as for the firmware louie that would be great if you could email it to me or throw it up on the FTP site...i looked for it last night but did not find it...only the 1.0C version...i have the 6x4x16x yamaha in case it matters for the flash.

thanks!! PS i am bidding on some PTP stuff on ebay....i might have found some rails...he is selling 6 of them and i need only 3....so if you are missing any let me know...i know they are hard to find...

[This message has been edited by tm311 (edited 22 May 2001).]

i am also curious about the version number mismatch with my 2 seagate drives(they are in a "0" striped raid) a little over a year old but i bought them at the same time and noticed last night that the version numbers down't match...one is version 0005 and the other is version 0006.... is that a firmware thing that i can fix? Or is it irrelevent?

The firmware version numbers of the Seagate drives IMO is not important. It cannot be fixed unless returned to Seagate. k

Check your mailbox.

to be honest, I haven't really sat down and had a burning orgy to test Toast 5 yet, and I need to do so.

maybe I'll get naked with it this weekend. It's sitting here in a box next to my workstation, and we have it installed on a couple of the other machines in the basement. I just rarely need to burn anything. And I've been avoiding the basement for the past couple days.

too much work to do down there.

and the sun is out today!

well......i am thinking that the plextor is the problem, but i don't know how to test it. It just seems very eratic in the PTP. Maybe i should put it in a different machine and see hoe it responds...this is the most frustrating problem i have ever encountered with this computer. I just loaded an audio cd and loaded it into toast. I set it for 6x burn and did a "check speed"...could not get it to transfer at the required 1Mb/s so i lowered the speed to 4x and was getting close to the 669kb/s it was needing....but still error. Lowered the speed to 2x and the transfer speed went up to 1.5mb/s and then the mouse froze..now upon restart i cannot even mount the audio cd......and before while it WAS mounted it sounded awful......it always revs up and down, but this time while reving up it sounded like the wheels were going to come off....earlier i tried burning a regular cd from the HD and it burned fine, but while "finishing" in toast i got a "Bomb"...I honestly have no clue as to what i should be doing......I am sure the Plextor is older than a year so no warrantee....and its not really cost effective to repair?? Does this sound like it could be anything other than a bad Plextor? The yamaha seems fine..reads everything. I am using OS9.1 with ST 5.7 and Toast 4.1.3.. I have not tried pulling the plextor or yamaha external....would that tell me anything? Which one would you guys pull outside if any? And i have not tried another cd-rom drive in its place...I have a Apple OEM 12 or 24x sitting in my 7500.....maybe thats the thing to try in the morning......i'll wait for any input.

tm311,

The reving up and down does not sound good. I wonder if flashing the ROM of the Plextor somehow failed to work properly.

Since it is out of warranty, then I would try it in another machine. I can't help with the burn software because my son does all the burning on his machine and when I do it, tho seldom, it just works. And I don't have a Plextor. You can try the GD cable and the BlueNote, but first I would try another known good CD-ROM drive on the same cable in the PTP and see if it works. So, test the Plextor in another machine, and test another CD drive in the PTP.

In fact every one of your suggestions sounds good, the external internal 5MB/s connector, pulling the Yamaha and trying the Plextor, etc.

Still think something is wrong with the Plextor because of the reving up and down. k

The reving and all the problems were exsistant before i flashed. if its not the Plextor, then this morning when i put it back in the 7500(where it worked flawlessly a few month's ago) if it works fine there then could it be a cable or the actual computer bus? Iguess we should discuss those "what if's " when i know more.....thanks!

I switched things around and now have a Matshita 12x(7300 OEM) cd-rom internal to my PTP....(it is not the last device because i believe it cannot be terminted..but do i leave "term power" jumped???) i did for now.

Anyway...it seems to play audio cd's fine, although it does not play cd-rw's..i would guess this is to be expected? But i did some more speed checks in Toast, and found that i still cannot get it to transfer at much better than 1.1 or 1.2 MB/s...so i am fine to burn at 4x...but not 6x, at least with audio cd's. Speed checks with info from my HD gives me around 28mB/s which is around the same SR score i get when testing the volume.( i would like more from my raid.but thats another topic )

I am going to go test the Plextor in the 7500....although i can't do the speed tests because i do not have a burner on it. But i will find out how it does mechanically. I am very curious as to what you guys get for "check speed" transfer rates using toast and burning from an audio cd. i would think on a 10mb bus i should get much higher than 1 MB/s or am i comparing apples and oranges? This is making me want to order a bluenote card , but i have brought that up along with new cables before and i have not had anyone say that would be needed.

the Plextor must be Toast.....i fired it up in the 7500 and it craps out....it won't read cd-rw's and when i insrt an audio cd it spins up and takes a minute or so to play.then it stops and starts.....and it sounds like it is wobbling like crazy inside....a bummer but i will look into buying a replacement...i would love to find a way to burn DVD's for my Home Theater......but i do not believe that is possible yet....off to research what to do next.*sigh* i would buy another plextor as i feel that it is still a great unit. We have 2 at work that seem flawless...

One thing i do not understand...when i do a "check speed" now with the Matshita andthe cd is playing in the background i get around 1.3MB/s, but when the cd is not playing i get 450k/s which tells me i can burn an audi cd at 6x if its playing and 2x if it is not playing.that seems odd.

[This message has been edited by tm311 (edited 27 May 2001).]

Remove the Term Power jumper. Your host, whether it be the motherboard SCSI or a SCSI accelerator card, supplies that power. Have you tried any commercial CD lens cleaner on the Plextor? And blown out the dust inside it? I can't recommend a lens cleaner because I have never tried one, but it is worth a try.

Also you might email Plextor to see what they want to look at the drive or exchange for a new or refurb. Tell them how many Plextors you have, which makes you a good customer and certainly worth keeping.

I can't comment on those speed tests in Toast. As I mentioned, the burn stuff is on an S900 my son is using and I have never tried those tests. Luck. k

i did try blowing it out and was thinking of a lens cleaner..i believe i have one some place....i will take your suggestion about emailing Plextor, as they have been very helpful in the past...the build sticker on the unit says Novemmber 1999, so i am guessing that i am around 4 month's out of warrantee. I'll let you know what they say.

Tim: Gee Whiz Golly Gee!

I've been away for days and you're still working on this problem. I felt sorry for you and just ran the Toast 4.1.3 speed test with my setup as described earlier. The Apple 24 X was just overhauled last week. It had quit completely and I had switched to my Toshiba 40 X. I got into the Apple, accidently breaking off three small plastic pieces which I glued back on. I cleaned everything including the LASER lens and my own blood from cutting myself. Put it back together and it works.

For the tm311 test, I put Apple OS 9.1 CD in the player and a blank CD in the Yamaha 6416 burner and set it for a direct copy. It only needs 900k/sec for 6x burn. It started out at 1.5 MB/s and gradually increased to 3.2 MB/s toward the end. The was a smooth, gradual speed increase, which indicates that the read and burn is from the slower, inboard tracks to the faster, outboard tracks.

I remember that the 40 X Toshiba showed the same results earlier. This means to me that as long as the player is fast enough to keep the buffer from running dry, the transfer rate is dependent on how fast the burner can deal with the data.

Sounds like your Plextor is florfed. Try bleeding into it.