Thread: I am determined to fix my CD problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is certainly not the first post i have made concerning problems i am having with my PTP trying to burn audio cd's or even read some cd's i KNOW i could once read with my set-up. I currently am running a ultraplex40 and a yamaha 6/4/16 both on the internal 10mb bus of my PTP. They are the only devices on that particular bus. The yamaha is fist and unterminated at ID#1 the plextor is next at ID#3 and i have a jumper over the Term pins. This seems to be a pretty staight forward set-up yet i am having trouble with almost eveything i do using the 2 drives. I have tried switching cables, so i don't think that is it. I am willing to try anything you wan't. I would consider purchasing GD cable if you think that would solve it....and i would consider buying a bluenote card if it makes sense to get the 2 on different scsi busses. I will try running one on the 5mb internal id that makes sense. i am running speedtools 5.7 and i have tried 5.6 I am using OS9.1 and Toast 4.1.3,,I will buy 5.0 if THAT seems to make sense. I have flashed both devices this week with current firmware to try and solve it....i would prefer to leave both devices internal, but i do have a cool "Sun 411" external case on the shelf if i have to either one outside.....i am assuming that should be the burner. i guess i am determined to solve this problem and need a "plan" to attack it and eliminate things. Other than that my computer seems to be running very smooth.

Louie is running his PTP on the internal SCSI bus with Apple 24x and a Yamaha. Let's see what he says. k

Tim:

I have my Yamaha 6416 in the top 5.25" slot and it is at the physical end of the ribbon cable for the 10 MB/s internal bus. It's ID is 1 and it is terminated. The jumpers are set like this: JxxxJx. This is ID 1 [first three pinsets from the left are for ID (1, 2, 4); fourth pinset is for party (off); fifth pinset is for termination (on); sixth pinset is for block size (off).

Have you flashed the Yamaha ROM to 1.0d?

Are you sure that the cable does not have a wire cut out. Many PTP's did.

My player is an Apple and has no terminatrion pins. That's why it's not at the end of the chain. The ID is 3 and all other jumpers are off, including the Termination Power jumper.

I can use Apple driver/ToastReader or CD/DVD SpeedTools 5.7 (it should show loading TWO drivers. I also use Toast 4.1.3 and 8.6, 9.04 and 9.1.

These are the only two devices on the bus.

You realize that the 5 MB/s bus also has an internal logic board connection don't you? No reason to use that except for a Zip maybe.

Can't help you with Plextor because I've never seen one.

Use SCSI probe to verify you ID settings and firmware.

Use the last connector on the cable to connect to the terminated device.

Try only one device on the bus at a time to see if one appears bad.

I use Imation 1x-8x CD-R's.

i am sure i do not have the cut-out onthe cable, however i am not sure that my plextor is using the last physical plug on that cable. i will pull it an check. i am at 1.oC on the yamaha firmware. i will check that as well to see if i can get it to flash to the D version. I tried last week and it hung after flashing, but that seems to be a yamaha bug. scsi probe did tell me something odd...on my 2 cheetahs, it gave me different version numbers.....005 and 006. i bought them at the same time....hmmmmmmmmmm.

I do see both devices loading with speedtools, and i have tried using the apple driver with toast reader with no change. i think tommorrow night i will pull both units and switch them on the bus to try the yamaha at the end.

well, we've got Plextors in virtually all beige machines here, and they work great with CDST.

when using them (and CDST) with burners, you do need to pay attention to your extensions......particularly with Toast.

we don't use Yamaha burners here. I don't particularly like them, though Louie has had good results with his, I believe.

i have been careful with the toast extensions.....it may be another random extension that is causeing the problem.i have not tried building a minimal set of extensions just for burning....i remember years ago using another program we needed to burn with most extensions off. While the ymamha is not in the same leaque as the plextors, i would have to say that outside the trouble i am haing at home i burn hundreds of cd's a month using the plextor as the cd-rom and an identical pair of yamaha's as burners that i have had zero problems with...bot unlike the generic sanyo's and teacs POS drives we used to get bundles into lacie cases!!!

Mag have you found toast 5 to a worthwhile update in terms of solidness?