Thread: SCSI added to Power tower and Wave

I would like to add a Miles2 Ultra2 Adapter card and Seagate Cheetah 18.35GB Ultra 160 4MB cache to my Power tower and my Power wave. To add the internal drives do I need additional mounting hdware? sleds? which ones? what about cables?
    Please excuse my dumb question, but does the HD get power from the SCSI card?

aj,

We all go thru the learning curve. And still we learn. The Miles2 is a kit, the Miles2 board, Initio twisted-pair LVD cable, Initio LVD terminator, and SoftRAID which is an excellent driver for single drives as well as RAID. I don't know the PowerTower or the Wave, but someone else can provide those details.

The HD gets power from the power supply which has a bunch of 4-pin connectors called Molex connectors. They are translucent/white and you should have extras inside your PT and Wave. Just look at your HD and CD-ROM drive already installed to see what plugs in for power. The Molex connectors are keyed, two corners curved and two squared, so the connector only goes in one way. k

to install in those machines, you really need to open them up ahead of time and look around to determine where you plan to install. If you have spare 3.5-inch bays, then all you need is four screws per drive. If you must use 5.25-inch drive bays, then you will at minimum need a set of 3.5-inch to 5.25-inch drive brackets (which we sell for $5.99 or so). You may also need a rail on one or more sides of one of the drive brackets, but before we get into all that the right way to begin is to just look inside, and tell us where you plan to install. We can assist you from there.

There is a bay above my floppy drive measuring 1.25"high, 4" wide which would fit drive, if it does not require extra clearance. Is this OK?

aj,

I assume you mean the PowerTower? Or the Wave too? My PTP has a box with the floppy in the lowest bay, then an open 1.25"x4" bay (like yours), then a Zip 100 in the top of this 3-bay box. Your Cheetah will fit nicely in that open bay with no brackets or rails. I have to remove the box to install the 2 screws on the right side of the box (as you face the front of the PT). Another two screws on the open side and that is it. If your Wave is similar, then same procedure. k

On the Power wave the only place that is available is the bottom shelf of a 6" wide metal housing. The Zip drive is mounted above and seems to be attached via plastic rails that fit into housing. Are these the rails that I need? Are they standard parts?

If you go to our FTP site ftp://ftp.macgurus.com//ftp/powercomputing_stuff/ you will find Power CC manuals.

after looking through my manual i find that I need a 3.5 to 5.5 adapter tray to fit the cheetah. Is "922-1124 Hard Drive Sled for Lower Bay with Screws" the correct part?

I've upgraded several Power CC machines but not those two models. The sled you mention is for Apple DT machines. Power machines use adapters that are more like PeeCee parts. Go here ftp://ftp.macgurus.com//ftp/powercomputing_stuff/ and download hd_install_pix. You may need Fetch or Interarchie.

Go here http://www.macgurus.com/beta/showram...ngdevices.html and look at the Ultimate Cooler and the Triple Fan ATXCooler. Both will work in the 5.25" bays. There used to be a fanless, less expensive adapter on that page, but I don't see it now.