Thread: troubleshooting Plextor Ultra40

MObO===>Yamaha Burner(ID-4)===>Plextor(ID-1 term)

Loading an audio CD into the plextor causes all kinds of problems...when the disk mounts i either get choppy playback or it spins up with yellow light blinking and nothing happens..i can't get out of the program without force quitting...i swapped scsi cable with another cheapo, no change...these two drives burned flawless cd's on my 7500, but on this PTP i have many problems. i am using speedtools 5.7. i have no idea how to troubleshoot, but i am thinking about ordering a bluenote to get the plextor off the bus so as to eliminate a scsi conflict?( On the 7500 i had them on different busses.) or do i just put the yamaha back on the external bus of the PTP to check this theory out? i have increased ram and bumped up the speedtools settings to try and solve it..no change. The yamaha has no problems playing audio cd's. When i try and burn a cd i get buffer underrun or i fail the speed test even at 1x... i guess i need to go back to square one and find the plextor and yamaha manuals ...maybe i missed something transfering them into the PTP.

doublecheck your cable, and make sure the Yamaha is not also terminated.

make sure you have termination enabled on the Plextor...and are not confused by term power.

its ver possible that i am confused...i tried finding the manual last night and couldn't.....i know on the jumper settings i have "term" jumpered on the plextor....but now that you are reminding me that is term power correct? I do NOT have "term" jumpered on the Yamaha....how do i actually terminate the Plextor?

Is this bus the internal, 10 MB/s bus in a PTP? Are you sure you don't have a cable with a cutout in one wire between the last two connectors?

Are these two devices the only ones on the bus? Did you have a good reason for chosing those ID's? Those should work, bit ID=3 for the Plextor and ID=1 for the burner would be more conventional.

I've never seen a Plextor, but here's the way the Yamaha should be jumpered in the config you show:

Left to Right- 1 no jumper, 2 no jumper, 4 jumper, Parity no jumper, Termination no jumper, and Block Size no jumper.

The Plextor must be terminated. If it has termination power pins, off.

Louie:

Yes it is the internal 10mb bus...yes they are the only 2 items on the bus. I picked those numbers out of desperation when i had a scsi id issue at work and needed to steal some of the jumpers from home. I long since replaced the OEM cable with a cable that has no cut-out, and in fact traded to a 3rd cable this weekend trying to solve the issue. i will pull them out tonight and double check against your numbers. I have always been confused by the whole "term power" vs "term" thing..and i do believe that i have "parity" jumpered on at least one of the units....i am guessing that both units should NOT be jumpered for parity? How do i assure myself that the Plextor is properly terminated? I am going to take my 7500 work computer here down to look at the back of ITS plextor to see where its at.

THANKS!!

Plextor here at work is set to ID3 with parity jumped as well as term. With test,block and eject left unjumped.

I physically have my Yamaha burner in the top slot to put it at the end of the SCSI chain and use its termination so I can use an Apple CD player (which has no termination pins) in the middle of the chain (and in the second slot). It's easier to route the cable that way.

i just found the old phillips OEM cd in the closet here and found 6 jumper pins...so will take them home and try to fix this issue....so the thing i don't quite understand is do i definately terminate either one of these 2 units simply by jumping the "term" pins? Is one or the other more reliable as a terminated device?

i now have the following:

MOBO===>Yamaha(id1, no term, yes parity)===>Plextor(id3, yes parity, yes term).

Problem not solved in fact it may be worse, as now if i try playing certain cd's i freeze. I am wondering if this is not a software issue somewhere on my computer.

Data CD's mount fine?

Try reinstalling your drivers. I know I had a bitch of a time with a couple CD drives killing me with corrupted drivers. Simple things.....might work. Seems like you are putting a lot of effort into the HW side of it. You might have that angle covered now.

You've got the termination right; but you don't want parity turned on for either.
    I doubt that is your problem, though.

Are you using SpeedTools 5.7? And do you have the Apple driver and Toast Reader turned off?

I am using ST5.7 and i trashed every piece of intech software and did a re-install, as well as re-installing toast 4.1.2. i was going to follow your advice earlier and not jumper the "parity".....but both yamaha and plextor manuals wanted parity "on"...but tomorrow night i will take the pins of "parity"....i am able to burn "extracted" audio, although it sounds kind of crappy....never did extracted before....should it sound slightly garbled compared to the original? I thought i had it earlier when i shut "quickdraw" off..it seemd to be repeatable....off/ok...on/crash....but then i crashed once with it off.....but i think i have the hardware(after i disable parity) pretty solid, or at least as solid as i can get it.....just wondering if i should try switching the position of the 2 units and terminating the Yamaha??

I have the apple driver disabled and toast reader trashed.

I have been having alot of crashes lately....mostly in IE...so i did a "self-repair" on that and it seemed fine until i tried burning some cd's for my daughter ....i am thinking maybe its time to back-up the system and re-initialize the raid and do a fresh OS install. I do thank you guys for weighing in on this as i am at a loss for what it might be, i seriously doubt its hardware related since i can deal with data cd's no problem.

It matters not that Yamaha and Plextor "wanted" parity on. Mac's don't do parity checking when on the builtin busses. UltraSCSI cards do parity.

Not sure how you were extracting.

What on earth do you mean "shutting QuickDraw off"?

AS in QuickDraw 3d and other's..part of the QuickTime extensions....and i forgot i was reading a manual based intirely on PC installs....

I scanned this thread quickly, but have you tried using one drive at a time on the bus?

You must have a corrupted system. A player and burner olone on the internal bus is very straight forward and should not cause problems. I have the same setup on my PTP.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 19 April 2001).]

strangely, all CD-ROM I have ever seen installed on Macs have parity enabled, and I am including those which are installed stock by Apple.

remember the difference between termination (TE, as in Termination Enable) and term power (TP, as in Termination Power).

you want both CD-ROM set to draw term power FROM the bus if possible, and only the LAST physical device on the chain to be terminated with a jumper on the TE pins.

I think there is no harm in testing each device separately.....I also agree with Louie in that this is a very straightforward configuration you are attempting. It should be relatively simple.

i don't see either the Yamaha or the Plextor as having seperate jumpers for TE and TP...i see the word Term on both so i have it jumped on the last device(plextor). I am wondering if it is somthing in the cd itself....some sort of copy protection thing? This weekend i plan on doing a clean install of 9.1 on a freshly initialized raid. I have burned hundreds of cd's with this combination in the past(different box)....so i am guessing its just some kind of oddity.