Thread: New "write through" twist..

I decided to try a few things to make sure I did everything right to begin with, As you all recall I first Upgraded to XLR8's G3500/250/10. It started up,tested the cache and gave me the option of going to 333MHZ or going with 250MHZ.I chose 250MHz and computer fired right up.Everything ran stable, did not have to check "write through" in order to run reliably.Did have a freeze-up when installing from system CD to RAID, and at first I checked "write through" because I assumed it was the cause but determined later it was a dirty CD drive, and unchecked "write through" and installed CD speed tools to enhance CD performance.

I then installed my 2 Miles2 SCSI cards and 2 Seagate Cheetah 15k HD's and striped into a RAID using softraid 2.2.2. I then installed onto this RAID system software 8.6, XlR8 software and Smart SCSI version 1.06 and sim version 1.03.On restart I crashed as the XLR8 extension loaded.Checked "write through" and restarted with no problems.

I then decided to review my procedures and went back to my XLR8 manual, which recommended first zapping PRAM, which I did, but for some reason it reverted and booted up my original 2.1 Gig seagate HD on bus 0.

after re-selecting RAID in start-up conrol panel, restarting to RAID, froze after XLR8 extension loaded, but before any other extensions could load.

I then went to the second recommendation, which was to restart with Command-option-x-r keys depressed, causing the XLR8 software to retest the cache. It started up, retested the cache and gave me the option of going to 333MHZ or remaining with 250MHZ.I chose 250MHz and computer fired right up.I haven't had the nerve to restart and see if this fix is permanent, just trying out some softwares to see if it is running reliably at this point. Passed short processor test and Quickbench tests.

XLR8 control panel says I amd running at 50 MHz bus, 499.8 Processor speed and 249.9 backside cache.

Power Control says I am running at 500/250.

Now all I have to do is restart and see if changes stick, but don't have the nerve to do so, so far. Been running a couple of hours now, and no crashes yet.

Any comments guys?

Terribly optimistic at this point, yet somewhat fearfull...

You are confusing me.

In the first paragraph you install OS to RAID but

you didn't install the Miles 2 cards and Cheetahs until the second paragraph.

How can that be?

Is the new work-around the backside cache retest? Did you just do that and it completed the startup sequence wothout write-thru?? Or, are telling us what you did two weeks ago?

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 26 March 2001).]

Sorry,
    Two weeks ago-
    Installed miles2 & Cheetahs, striped Raid, froze up when installing system 8.6 off of CD to RAID using 2.1gig as start-up drive, write through unchecked.After checking write through and restarting on 2.1 gig, CD ran fine and finished installing OS 8.6 to RAID using 2.1 gig as start-up disk.

Unchecked write through restarted on RAID, froze when XLR8 extension loaded.Started up extensions off, checked write through, restarted, everything including CD fine.Macbench5 score 1481.

Today-
    Zapped PRAM-Defaulted to 2.1gig disk on start-up, even though start-up disk selected was RAID.

Tried restarting RAID with write through unchecked and command-option-x-r.
    Booted fine, ran a bunch of tests.Machbench processor score of 1589, Later on this evening Since the CD had acted up on me before with write through unchecked on the 2.1 gig, I put a audio CD my CD player in and fired up quickbench. Froze-up immediatly.Using CD Speedtools 5.6
    restarted to RAID command-option-x-r, froze after XLR8 extension loaded.

So I'm back to write through checked. CD works fine. Running rock stable.

The things I find odd are that when I zapped the PRAM (command-option-p-r) it started up my 2.1 gig when I had the RAID selected as start-up disk.

My CD freezes from 2.1 gig and RAID when write through is unchecked, but runs fine from 2.1 gig and RAID with write through checked.This shouldn't happen at all.

I thought I might mention my command-option-x-r experience to you all in case you want to try it yourselves. Maybe you will have better luck.
    If you want to try it, first zap PRAM, allow start-up, then uncheck write through and restart command-option-x-r. It might work for you.

My next thought is to uncheck write through, zap PRAM and command-option-x-r on same start-up, but tired for now, was just messing with this stuff today waiting to hear my test results from DR. News was not good.So if I'm not around pestering you for a while, I hope you understand. Will be back at it later this week when PTP withdrawl sets in.

I also want to try restarting unchecked Manual as well as unchecked Auto. Little things could make the difference.

Good luck to you all, I need some sleep.

Terribly Terrible enough

OK Terri; I think I've got it. I'll try it.

Take care

Terri:

No need to answer but your "thing" didn't help my situation.

I wonder if that PRAM zap, and then revert to 2.1 GB drive has something to do with the system picker issue.

I don't remember all the previous threads you tapped Terri, but I think you know about the Startup Disk control panel issue in SoftRaid, right?

8: I am aware of the system picker problem, could be related,
    Louie, sorry it didn't work , just going through every installation proceedure to see if I missed something.
    Going to see neurologist April 10, they say he's very good, hence the wait. Not looking forward to it....
    Back to rest....
    Terribly in pain

[This message has been edited by tekcan (edited 28 March 2001).]