Thread: UW drives with LVD card for Media100

I realize that all over the place everyone says that you should not mix Ultrawide drives with LVD cards, but that causes a big problem. I have 2 ST19171W barracudas, a B&W G3, and a media100 le video editing system. The scsi cards that are approved for the system all seem to be LVD (2940U2W, 2940U2B, ATTO Express PCI UL2S, UL2D, UL3S, UL3D). I would really like to have the system work without having to get new drives. Is there anyway this can be done. I have seen people get ripped apart for trying this but I do not have money to buy new drives and a new card, only a new card and I need to get this system working. Thanks

Hey SG9,

It's really really a lot more problematical when you mix LVD and non-LVD target devices on the same bus. You can do what you say you would like to do with no problem. The cards are backward compatible and will function perfectly in single-ended mode with your drives. Some of the adaptation is automatic, some is settable in the control software for the host card. Caveats:

Many LVD cables supplied with LVD cards have an LVD terminator at the end of the cable; this will not terminate your setup properly and should NOT be left on the cable even if you properly terminate your last drive.

LVD cables have the wrong impedence for single-ended transmission modes; best to use a non-LVD cable and adapt it to the card.

You will be restricted to the non-LVD 1.5 meter cable length; not the 12 meter LVD cable length

Thanks a lot for your help, I would really rather keep them the same but don't have the money for new drives. Any suggestions on which one of those cards i should get. Thanks

I don't know much about the Adaptec cards. I have the ATTO UL3D. For forward migration, dual channel flexibility and best current performance in the B&W G3 or newer mac, I think it's the way to go.

Regards

I would go with either the UL3S or the UL3D. They are basically the same card, but the UL3D gives you two busses so that you could bus duplex once you got new drives (i.e. put two drives on one bus and two on the other and then stripe them into one honkin' fast RAID). Have a look here to see more info.

Just be sure to get something that you can grow into. I made the mistake of getting an UW controller because I had UW disks. Now I need to buy a new U2 controller to get the most out of the new disks I'm buying...

G'luck,
    Miles