Thread: G4 500 Dual Processor w/Superdrive

Hi,
    I have a G4 500 dual processor which has a first generation Superdrive installed that was pulled from a G4 733. I have tried repeatedly to figure out a way to install the Superdrive firmware updater with no luck. I can download the updater fine, but when I try to install it I am told "This installer is not compatable with this model Macintosh". I understand that Apple doesn't recognize that as a configuration that was offered for sale, so the installer doesn't work on the machine. At least not in a way that I've been able to figure out. Short of finding a G4 733 and doing a temporary install in order to run the updater, does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks

Why do you want to? OWC (www.macsales.com) has a lot of OEM and retail links to firmware (they sell a lot of Pioneer drives). Also check out the drive upgrades and reports on www.xlr8yourmac.com too.

there are now 106 and 107's that offer better features, one of the firmware updates slowed it down in half for DVD burning to prevent burn errors.

I want to because I have the drive in the computer. And rather than buy a new drive, I'd rather just make this one safe from damage using higher speed media. Besides, I have a G5 2Gh Dual for higher speed burning and was just looking to upgrade the G4 500DP drive.