Thread: B&W G3 keeps crashing...toss it or upgrade?

My kids have an old B&W G3 500 and it is $100 stock but for a pair of Ramjet 256MB pc100 CL2 chips. problem is it freezes all the time...curser locks up and they need to hot the restart button..it has bever been a rock solid machine but it is much less stable in osX than in os9. Right now it is running panther. I have tried many combination of ram and it is equally unstable with all of them, so i am not trying to decide what to do. I could replace the HD and or CPU...and or ram. or am I better off starting fresh with something else?

Is it upgraded with a 500mhz zif, or overclocked to 500mhz? That could be the source of your problems. If so, set it back to stock setting; also, any other PCI cards, peripherals attached? Make sure firmware, etc. is up to date. It's still a good machine-don't toss it yet

Run DIMM First Aid in OS 9. See that all the RAM is identical, CAS2 Latency and all of it is 8 ns (125 MHz) PC100, and not a mix. When in doubt, look up the memory finder at Crucial for any Mac model. B&W is fusyy, and Panther the most of any. I think Apple now uses more of the memory, and is also doing compression of idle cache for files and windows. Compression os system memory is common, very efficient, but puts even more burden so that any RAM that was marginal may fail. OS 9 rarely used all the RAM all the time.

Other Macs that had no trouble now find themselves with BAD RAM issues as well, so its across the board.

I think you hit something...I did find a link to the "jumper block mod" on xlr8 your mac" page and my speed jumper pin is set to 3 ( which is 500mhz) If I can find a way to move it to 4 I would be at (450mhz and may get to the bottom of this problem. I do not have anythign small enough right now to pull the jumper...but tomorrow I should be able to get a bunch of new jumpers to set it where it should go. I'll keep you posted.

[This message was edited by tm311 on Tue December 23, 2003 PT at 20:28.]

?Sounds like time to get Classic running? Dimm First Aid is THE way to figure out ram and Classic is just a few minutes away from being able to run. And 10 NS PC100 ram causes more crashes and corruption issues on the B&W than any other factor.

?Here's the page at xlr8 on the jumper settings for your B&W.

Rick

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

I do have some pc133 ram floating around at work..I will try that? I treid for 10 minutes to get ramjet to sell me faster ram when I bought this computer...grrrrrrrrrrr! Thanks for the help Rick..

Faster ram won't really make much difference. Quality and consistency will.

CAS2 2-2-2 vs CAS3 3-2-2.

PC133 in a 100 mhz fsb will adjust itelf to run as CAS3, is forced to slow down.

Not all PC133 will work. Take a look at Crucial web site for B&W and for a G4 that takes PC133. They have specific product numbers, not just a "PC133 size that fits all."

At one point PC100 was scarce and cost more, lately they are about the same.

Normally my Beige with a G3 the RAM runs at most at FSB speed. But it tends to fall off a lot after awhile. With a G4 in there, it runs at 99MB/sec and stays there, doesn't fall off. So too a G4 in B&W will push RAM to 163MB/sec instead of the 85-99MB/sec of a G3 processor. A G4 makes a differnce, and means that you need to be more careful.

PC100 10 ns can handle 300-350MHz.

The B&W can't "differentiate" between memory modules the way later AGP G4's can, thanks to their ability to read the SPD code on each chip. The B&W picks up what is in J19, the first RAM slot, and uses that. Which is why mixing even good PC100 and PC133 usually doesn't work. RAM has to be filled from J19 out, too.

It was a struggle, hunting for "Why?" in the dark at first and no one seemed to know enough to put together the "unwritten" rules at work. Most ended up throwing out the Apple OEM RAM that came with their system not just to make room for larger chips, but because it was not the right RAM!

I changed the speed control pin setting so now the computer reads as 450mhz which has yeilded me only 2 crashes in the past 3 days...instead of crashing every hour. I think i wuold like to order ram to replace what is in the machine now...Can you point me to the ram page Rick or let me know what to order. I would like to order the most stable ram I can...be it a pair of 256mb chips or 4 128mb chips. The goal is to then order a new g3 900 processor and replace the stock HD and maybe even the ATI pci rage video card to something that might be better suited to Panther. Of course this might make no sense. Might be better to sell it and find a nice AGP G4?

Tim

Start here Crucial is quality RAM and this will walk you to throuh to the right RAM. Nice to see you again. -Randy