Thread: Soon to be making a mac purchase

Here's the dilema...I am a graduating senior who just won a scholarship. In order for it not to be applied towards a grant I have already won, I have to use it to purchase educational equipment (ie a new mac). So I purpose this question, if you had around $4000 to spend what would you buy? I currently own a 350 B&W G3, 704 MB 6, 10, 40 GB with two sony trinitrons. Some possibilities include: 17 PB and a processor upgrade for the G3, 12 PB and Dual 1 GHz, 15 PB and Dual 867...

Thanks,
    Mike

PS I have educational pricing and I need a laptop for grad school...

Wow, sounds rough!

If it were me I would not buy the 17" PB, unless you had a compelling reason, like needed a mobile AV editing station. I would go with a 15" or even a 12" just because it would be SO much more easy to carry. Look at a 17" in person before you buy...

With what you would save you could easily buy a new dual 1G, use your existing monitors if they are still AOK. And the the BW G3s are still in pretty high demand, so easy enough to sell for several hundred bucks.

Beyond that, it depends on what you are doing. Do you need a fat RAID stripe for photoshop/vid work, or how about a mirror for redundant storage relaibility? Go with a SIIG or ACARD RAID card and 3 jumbo WD drives, a Gig or more of RAM in both...

OK, I have to stop for a while before the drool begins to short my keyboard...

This is what I would do (taken from the apple education store):

Summary
    мя Power Mac G4 Dual 1.42GHz w/2MB L3 per proc.
    мя 2.0GB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) - 4 DIMMs
    мя 180GB Ultra ATA drive
    мя Optical 1 - Apple SuperDrive
    мя Optical 2 - Combo Drive (DVD/CD-RW)
    мя NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium w/128MB DDR
    мя AirPort Extreme Card
    мя Ultra SCSI PCI card & cable adapter
    мя 56K internal modem
    мя Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English
    мя Mac OS - U.S. English

Subtotal $3,972.00

Also, while youre at the Apple Store checking out that 17inch powerbook, take a gander at the 23inch HD Cinema Display. Download GL Tron and play it at full resolution and detail on a Dual 1.42Ghz. Fun.

[This message has been edited by batmantis00 (edited 07 February 2003).]

WOW! What a dilema! I feel bad for you!

I personally would purchase the 15" PowerBook Al when they come out and the MDD 1.25. You will have a powerful desktop and laptop solution without going too much overboard.

I think carrying around the PowerBook 17" would be too much and is a serious theft magnet.

Sell off the old equipment and get yourself a 20" widescreen display!

Don't forget to leave room for a blue tooth compatible cell phone and lots of good edu-priced software. DreamWeaver is $99 and Adobe has a couple of nice packages with Photoshop, illustrator, Golive, etc.

Heck with all that hard studying ahead, don't forget the iPod either. I am not sure if I wouldn't go with the hard plastic case of an 14" iBook. From what I have researched, the iBook plastic case is a little tougher for students to put in back packs and carry around. Titanium is cool, sure. But consider the value of having less fear walking around campus and slapping it on tables, I (probably) would give an iBook the nod.
    lb

[This message has been edited by levelbest (edited 08 February 2003).]

as far as bluetooth enabled phones go, i love my T68i. you can get them on amazon for like $25 (via rebate) with a t-mobile service plan. you have to be in a gsm area tho. being able to send aim messages from your phone is bomb.

also, i hear the 12 inch powerbook is about as tough as an ibook. i cant really back that up tho.