Thread: Neither Upgrading nor Buying New

It is time my child had her own computer. I've decided, pending discussion here, not to upgrade one of my older beige machines for her, nor to purchase a brand new Mac. I'm going to get her a late-model used or a refurbished computer.

I've done some research and narrowed it down to SmallDogs or PowerMax. Is there anywhere else I should look? Are there any known problems with either of these that I should be aware of? Any other companies that can rival these for a quality used or refurbished Mac?

Jim

I've read good things about SmallDog, and yet I and friends I sent there, all three of us, have had less than good results or experiences. Maybe that's behind them now, its been two years, but I won't go back either (I had best luck with Apple ref's from them though) which is why I would start at the Apple Store Specials. So yes, Apple can rival those two.

iMac? eMac? flat panel? tower?

I just bought a ViewSonic VE800 18.1" LCD and it is sturdy, great looking brushed silver, won't slide (cat proof) for $649. The monitor is what important (aging eyes, long hours, zero ELF on this unit which doesnt' even have a 'brick' for AC/DC). I think ELF pollution might be harmful, and a huge addition to our world - and cause of MY headaches.

You aren't going to give her yours and give yourself a new(er) model hand-me-down?

I'm probably going to get her an eMac. She can't keep her hands off a computer screen so there's no way I'm going to spend $600 on a monitor for her at her age. I could go with an iMac to get her an LCD (frankly, never thought about the headache or environmental angles) but I still have the concern over her touching it all the time. How fragile are those things? Are they just like a laptop LCD or is there some protection over the surface? If I thought it would physically outlast the eMac I'd get her one in a minute.

As far as not buying for myself yet, sure, I'll use hers at times. It will be the only one in the house running OSX, assuming I get an eMac or iMac. So I'll keep my email, documents, and all my OS9 software on my current machine for the time being. Part of the reason is that I'm not going to have enough money after this tax season to get the sort of Mac I'd like and I don't want to settle for a machine I'm going to resent for its inferiority (real or perceived). So I'll get her an eMac or iMac and I can keep dreaming for another year.

Jim

I think there are protection screens for iBook/PowerBook but don't now unless there is a real "touch screen" for LCDs. I know lots of folks who insist on touching and pointing - and leaving finger prints, which are messy on CRTs even.

You are aware of the issues surrounding the eMac machines, noted on MacFixit etc in the last months? fly-back or something?

I look at a good lcd as easy on the eyes, smaller and lighter (but with sturdy base). CRTs attract cats to jump up and stay warm or a place to jump from to the bookshelves!

Twenty years ago there were no brick type AC/DC adapters. Very rare to find phones, answering machines and fax and all the other devices that now liter homes and require ever more electric outlets. One more potential source for "electrical" pollution that we dont' know enough about. I just know I can't have any close-by. So my router is two rooms away. This was one of the very few LCDs that don't use a brick. And even TCO'99 CRTs have quite a bit (top, sides, back). I measure everything at first nowadays. If I don't, my skin "burns" after a few hours. Plus, why start eye-strain using a CRT? Like when you see a monitor on TV and you see the scan lines? Not so with LCDs. I used "dumb terminals" for twenty years, then mini-personal computers. Anyway, I just love this 18" model.

Depending on the needs, ie, G3/500-G4/800? 1GB RAM? I know of a 7300 maxed out for $300 and $240 for a good 19" CRT. One of the older iMacs with CRT are cheap and might be nice and preferable at Apple Store. I have a neighbor with an 8 yr old that was using a Performa and 7.5 and having fun, got her a 14" monitor.

Keep checking www.macosrumors.com etc for hints on any updates to the iMac line.

My buddy just dealt with SmallDog to buy his Dual 1.25. This is after he ordered from Apple and his order went from "Shipping" to "14 days". He wasn't happy, cancelled his order, called SmallDog and they had it to him overnight the next day.

If you are looking used, check out MacofAllTrades. I've seen a flat panel iMac and eMacs there on occassion, but you have to check daily because their inventory changes so quickly. I've bought two machines from them and a video card and only have nice things to say about them. My buddy traded his Cube into them and they gave him a hundred bucks less than what he could've gotten had he sold it on ebay.

Good luck...

-A

I've read about the eMac problems but I am assuming based on some things I've read that just about all refurbished eMacs have been refurbished in order to solve that display problem. It seems a refurbished eMac is a safer bet than a brand new one.

But now you've got me thinking about CRTs and ELFs and it probably would be worth it healthwise to get an LCD iMac rather than an eMac. Is it worth $200 to not get a brain tumor? I think so.

I'll continue to look around until there's enough money to make a move later this spring. Another consideration for getting a late-model Mac is that I'd like at least a Combo drive in it. That rules out a lot of the legacy Macs.

I'll try macofalltrades, too, thanks.

Jim

I love smalldog!!! maybe its because they are just north of me here in vermont, but the company is very good and the support is also top notch. We purchased 4 refurd from them this year....2 933 and 2 867 QS's. No problems at all.