Thread: OSX on PowerComputing Power Tower?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have a Power Computing Power Tower 166 which I have upgraded via an XLR8 card to a 400 MHz G3. It has 48 Mbytes of DRAM and a 2 Gig hard drive.It's running 8.5.
    Questions:
    1. Can this machine be upgraded to OSX
    2. How much more memory would it need to be useful
    3. Is 2 Gig enough disk or should I replace it?
    Thanks
    Hunter

To run OS X you need 400MB RAM. Much better to have 512MB or more - and you would need a larger hard drive too. Both also depend on what your plans or uses are for the computer.

I will let others more familar with the PTP advise on how well, or if OS X works on the PTP.

Randy

Is upgrading to a B&W G3 out of the question? You can run osX with 256MB of ram and as far as i know you can install it on the 2gig HD, but it would not leave you a lot of room to grow with. But looking at your computer ( I used to have and LOVE my PTP200) and it ram osX pretty nice for a year and a half, but i got frustrated with it in the end as it was very hard to run jaguar on my Miles2 scsi card...but you won't have that problem. So the answer is you must upgrade the ram to 256mb, and I THINK(not sure) but you may need to upgrade to 9,1 for the installer to work. All in all knowing what i know, If i were in your shoes i would shop for a used B&W G3 400 that comes with osX on ebay.

256MB will work - most people say that it is a little sluggish. Unless your running bigger apps - you need more.

I have only run OS X on my QS 733 with 896MB RAM - So I have nothing to compare to.

I did fill up a 5 gig partition fast and only had - OS X, Some small Apps and very little data.

Randy

[This message has been edited by rwm2 (edited 01 February 2003).]