Thread: Another Beige G3 Question

I just inherited the subject machine. It's very nice so I'm thinking of keeping it along with my laptop. I was wondering if anyone knows about the USB upgrade. Is it still possible to get? Does it work well? Blah, blah, blah. I'd like to be able to use my existing printer with this machine. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    - Tania

I have purchased a Keyspan USB 2 port PCI card long ago to connect my Wacom tablet and Compact Card Flash USB adapter. The card has never given me any problems. It's inexpensive and comes with a CD containing the drivers and works with 9.2 and 10.2.

Indeed, there are lots of options. On my 7600 (running an XLR8 [r.i.p.] CarrierZif) I used a MacSense USB card (_very_ inexpensive but works like a champ with my CompactFlash reader) and on my beige MT G3 (also running an XLR8 chip) I'm using an OrangeMicro combo USB and Firewire card (purchased from the Gurus) that has _really_ done well (used with USB MotU MIDI interfaces, a Sony TRV900 videocam and a Firewire external hard-drive). I'm quite pleased with the OrangeMicro card.

So yes, you can definitely get a lot of mileage (still) out of those beige machines! While they might be a bit sluggish for hardcore DV work, they're great for Photoshop, and a lot of other apps!

[This message has been edited by revi (edited 25 October 2002).]