Thread: OS8.1 to OS8.6 upgrade

I have a PPC 5500/225 with 48M RAM & am currently running OS8.1
    Is it worth upgrading to OS8.6 and if so what are the advantages/disadvantages? What are the minimun/ideal system requirements?
    Mike

Admittedly, I haven't run either for quite some time, but 8.1 was the fisrt HFS+ system, and a bit buggy.

If memory serves, 8.6 was an incredibly stable release, and worthwhile, but you may want to consider some more RAM to keep speeds up.

IIRC,

8.6 came with
    QuickTime 3, Remote Access (PPP - dialup), the Start of USB support, very bad firewire support. Many things (PCI cards, other hardware, games, apps) only support 8.6 and up. There are several updates to 8.6 also - but I dont remember all off hand. There is a bug in the font manager - not sure how serious it is. Maybe it is only an issue if one runs with LOTS O FONTS or with font management utilities (ATM Deluxe, etc...)? I never had any major issues with 8.6 - it was the most stable version of MacOS I have ever used. Its firewire support sucks, but then even in 9.1 (havent tired 9.2.1) FW support is not the best. I ran with 8.6 on my Yosemite (it shipped with 8.6) and on my PTPro and S900 systems. Its great! It is also hard to find. Even MacOS 8.5 is difficult to find - and that is what you will need as a minimum. Apple released very few 8.6 FULL install disks. Not sure why - except of course it was their best OS of the time - so naturally they dont want you to have it

All my systems are running 9.0 or higher... since it supports things like DVD, multiple users, Firewire, QT4 is a default install... etc.

If you only seem to be able to find 9.1 - then you might as well get MacOS 10 - since it cost about $100 to $130 for BOTH OSes. Your system can run up to 9.1 - but 9.2.1 is only supported on the beigeG3 (gossamer) or faster. I would imagine that 10.1 will ship with 9.2.1 - so neither is supported for your system.

GL

------------------
    Life in the fast lane leads to:
    The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

Yes, 8.6 has been vary stable in my daughter's 7600. It has a nice low ram overhead too.
    You first have to install 8.5 from the cd, then upgrade it to 8.6, which can be obtained as a free download from the apple site. They don't sell the 8.5 cd anymore, but I easily found and purchased the cd on eBay (paid $50 US including shipping).
    I did find, though, when switching from 8.1 to 8.6- certain older application versions no longer worked; so use caution! -g

OS 8.6 is an excellent system. I still keep it on a volume for various reasons although I mainly use 9.1. The font issue, mentioned below has an Apple fix and there have been lots of individual updates for 8.6. In fact, many updates for OS 9.x also work on 8.6

One of the reasons I've kept 8.6 is that OS 9/9.04 broke quite a few older apps, extensions, etc. However, I personally have been surprised that certain things that didn't like the earlier OS 9 version now work for me with 9.1; why, I don't know.

If you go with 8.6, be sure to get all the updates. This is not nearly as easy to do lately since Apple switched to their new Knowledge Base mess a few weeks ago. You might consider OS 9.1 because of lots of things including automatic updates, much better Open Transport, etc.

chrismenke->
    quote:
    Admittedly, I haven't run either for quite some time, but 8.1 was the fisrt HFS+ system, and a bit buggy.

I would have to disagree on that. I think 8.1 is a faster OS than 8.6. Sure, it wasn't as "nice-looking" as 8.6 + , but I never had any problems whatsoever with 8.1
    I still have a 8.1 partition for running a old version of Pro Tools (for the Time Code Ruler that you didn't get with the release of PT's LE)

Anyways, if you want I'm sure I already have a burned/backup copy of the original 8.5, plus the 8.6 update with some of the 9.0.x (not sure what version) updates.

Let me know if you want me to send them to you.

------------------
    Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscience state"

i see no reason not to upgrade to 8.6, but there were a lot of incremental updates that patched this or that. All of those were ultimately integrated into the OS9 release, which really wasn't that good until OS9.04.

i would max that machine out w memory and then take it to OS9.04 or OS9.1. That's just me. I see no reason to stop at OS8.6.