Thread: Is there an upgrade path for this PowerTowerPro?

I have an xlr8G3 450 clocked to 490 with 576MB of ram. I have a dual cheetah raid(dual 4.5 gig 10k) on a miles Uw2 LVD card. I score above 37 SR and SW using ATTO express tols and my Macbench scores are 1556 proicessor and 2298 disk. So while i am enjoying this SWEET guru's inspired computer i am also wondering now that it has been a couple years i am looking to see what the experts are recomending. Is there a "nice' speed bump to be had for upgrading this computer with either X15 cheetahs or will faster processors be coming to make any upgrades down the line that will keep all of us "vintage mac' users happy. i am thinking along the lines of will $500 bucks get me alot faster?

tm311,

Go here and see what X15's do http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Archives...-000013-4.html

However, you will probably need to go Granite stuff if you are using the Initio LVD cable and LVD terminator and put the X15 last on the chain, existing RAID drives first.

One X15 and Granite stuff would get you close to $500. With the Granite TPO LVD cable, remember that you need at least one more connector for your SCSI card, so existing drive connectors + future plans + Miles2 connector = total Granite cable connectors. This cable comes with an additional special connector on the far end (not in the count total, but on the cable) for the Granite LVD terminator. k

It looks like changing to a single X15 would net me a 3mb jump, but jumping to 2 X15 and adding a second miles2 could get me into the big leagues...i don't think i can get 2 15's and miles2 plus garanite cables for 500 however. I am wondering if i would split the difference by getting the second miles2 and running my 2 exsisting 10k cheetahs....if i could get into the high 50's even if i had to use 'write-thru" i would order the miles today.

If drive performance is at the top of your list, then enabling write-thru, if necessary, would be the way to go. However you will take a significant hit in performance in other areas. Here is what I posted last year:

Now, what does Write-Through enabled do to my PTP with xlr8 G3/500 running 540/270 in OS9.0.4? I ran tests both ways in rebooting after each in MB5:

No/YesW-T----Proc---FP---Graphics---PubGraphics----Disk/PubDisk
    -noW-T-------1785--2289----3912-------2713-----------yes or no, no change
    yesW-T-------1658--2119----3677-------2645-----------yes or no, no change
    yesW-Tchange-(-7%)-(-7%)---(-6%)------(-2.5%)

Disk and Pub Disk have to go thru main memory anyway, so I would not expect a change. But Processor, FPU, and graphics go thru the Processor for crunching so they are affected by the main memory of Write-Through. I also tested Memory Throughput with Gauge Pro. No change with Write-Through. It is just the use of main memory with Write-Through that causes the slowdown of certain operations.

Louie did a Norton test that sums the performance of each component into an overall score and it showed a 20% hit with Write-Thru enabled. k

I am looking for "overall" speed here...this is my home computer and i use it mostly to surf the web and "play" in photoshop. I know it is plenty fast enough for what i do, but i am also looking for ways to improve not only speed but stability. If i buy the second Miles2 card and my current Xlr8 card is running below 500(490hz) will i need to have write-thru checked? I am trying to get info for down the road a year or so when faster G4 cards come out for this computer, i want nothing more than to be running os10 and have a nice G4 750 running SW and SR in the 80's from a pair of 15x cheetahs.....all on a 8-10 year old PTP....but if that is not a reality i am just wandering if this is it for vintage macs.

Tim:

Some do and some don't. Initio in cooperation XLR8 all but promised last Fall to look into it. Nothing has come of that except frustration (mine and others; not theirs).

Hold on for a short while. Trag may have a solution that I will be trying on my machine very soon.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 23 August 2001).]

Thanks for the heads up Louie!!! I just got back from a week camping in the great outdoors w/o my computer.....and ya know what ? for the first times in many years it was a vacation where i did not even THINK about computers..felt nice. Sorry to hear you were sick last week...hope you are feeling better. i feel like i have been sick off and on for the past year and a half but the doctors say i'm fine.....wish i felt as good as they say i am Anyway hope you are doing well and i will keep looking for info regarding the dual channel possibilities.

men....gotta say, the PTP is probably becoming one of the tougher machines to upgrade....the Velocity from XLR8 most likely won't support it, and there is the longstanding write-thru issue that Louie mentions.

like me, though....you may have a significant investment in that vintage hardware.

somehow, I just can't walk away from beast.

i have, however, already resolved that I won't even worry about OSX on him. I'll get a dual-G4 Sawtooth from Apple as soon as they hit 1GHz later in the year, and run OSX on that. I guess my feeling is that we'll all be ok with OS9.1 on these old machines for a little while longer, but the time is finally approaching when they'll have to be relegated to supporting status.

it hurts to say it, but there: i got it out.

........damn dude........... it kinda smarts to hear it from YOU of all people.

But alas, deep down inside we all knew the day would come........ especially once it became clear Apple was trying to break the "legacy" chain.

Yup, 1Ghz will be mighty hard to ignore. I have thought about buying a new machine more than once while eyeballing the cost of SDRAM.

c8