Thread: RAM trouble, dump Powerlogix card?

Ok, today I installed three 128MB FPM DIMMs in my Powermac 8600/200 w/ Powerlogix 450Mhz G4 card. When any of those DIMMs are in, interleaved or not, I get bus errors, error type 10s, or strange crashing and freezing. I have pulled PRAM batteries, pressed CUDAs, booted without extensions, and done just about everything I can. I generally get a black screen with no video or constant crashing when the RAM is in. When I have 48MB of real 2k refresh RAM in it seems to run Ok, but I still have instability (as in another post, Unreal Tournament ran fine with my 604e processor and only the 48MB RAM I originally had with the machine, but with the G4 is in, same RAM I get crashes in the game.). All I have had are troubles with this card, 4k refresh RAM won't work at all, and neither does this 2k per side RAM I bought. Powerlogix tech support told me to send the 4k/2k per bank 128MB DIMMs back and get 2k 64MB DIMMs. I have 600MB+ assorted RAM here that will barely or not at all work with the upgrade in.
    What do I do?
    a. RMA the Powerlogix card back to Outpost.com, invest in a XLR8 500Mhz G3 card and forget the G4
    b. Exchange the Powerlogix card for a new one to see if that works
    c. Send the RAM back and try for 64MB DIMMs

Nothing I have done can get the machine to run fine with anything other than the 48MB RAM that came with it, and the machine with that RAM is still rather unstable, and I also have to run the L2 cache on the card at 150Mhz for stability when it is supposed to run at its rated speed of 225Mhz. What shall I do? Got any troubleshooting ideas? Thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention the full specs on my system:
    Powermac 8600/200
    Powerlogix 450Mhz G4 upgrade, cache at 150Mhz
    Only 48MB of 2k RAM
    VST Ultratek/66 ATA PCI card
    3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 PCI
    ADS 2-port USB card
    46GB IBM Deskstar 75GXP w/ OS9

If outpost.com will allow you to RMA the card, Just Do It! It sounds like you have a slow cache module on the card.

I think we all know where I stand on this one.

Ok, I lowered the bus speed to 46.7Mhz, and the G4 processor is running at 423Mhz. It actually works as of now with one stick of 128MB RAM in, I am playing Unreal Tournament at the moment, framerates are slightly lower than when it was at 450Mhz, but there isn't much difference. The machine is running rock solid so far on the lower bus. Should I still return the card and pay a bit more for an XLR8 500Mhz G3? What that possibly kick the framerates 60+(Now I pretty much max out UT framerates at 60) ? If it is working great now I don't know if I can justify the hassle of RMAing it back and suffering on my 604e card for a while.

At the 423Mhz processor speed, I just put in my other two 128MB RAM sticks. No video problem again. So would the Gurus say that this upgrade card is crap? I have 600MB+ of RAM here that is pretty much unusable as I said before. If I send back the Powerlogix and get a XLR8 G3, will my RAM problems be alleviated? Thanks.

Where did you get the three 128MB FPM DIMMs and exactly what are the numbers/letters on the RAM chips and the two timing chips? And are these numbers/letters all the same for each stick? k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 02 June 2001).]

MT, my 2 ,

Dump the Powerlogix, get your money back. Don't let all the time and trouble you've had make you feel like underclocking is a solution. My Xlr8 card was literally plug and play.

That said, Kaye's question is important. Where did you get the memory?

After reading a lengthy treatise by Magician about memory (All memory is not equal), I ditched a couple of sticks I picked up on the cheap, and replaced them with a couple of sticks of good RAM, and presto, a nagging problem I'd been having went away.

Best,

c8

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 06 June 2001).]

I've sent the Powerlogix G4 card back to Outpost, and whenever I get my refund I will be getting XLR8. The RAM is 128MB OWC sticks that people are ranting over in the Powercomputing forum. All RAM tests seem to indicate the RAM is just fine.

For the XLR8 card what do you think of the 500Mhz Carrier card?

Mactacular, what sort of ram tests are you talking about?

Just everything I have around from Newertech, and I need to get Techtool Pro or Ramometer. Any other RAM test programs I can use?

I'm not sure actually. I just thought you might have used more than that.

we have a variety of memory testing apps on the FTP site.

i still prefer XLR8's PowerControl and PowerFrax torture test.

set that up, and then set Intech's Integrity to hit an attached array, and you'll keep a Mac busy all night.