Thread: What else do I need for 40x Plextor CD-ROM

I think I will be getting a 40x Plextor SCSI CD-ROM to replace my 12x stock Matshita drive in my Powermac 8600/G4. I will pull the Matshita and put the Plextor in its place. What else will I need to get? I know for drivers alot of people say that hacked Apple drivers will work fine, or should I just get the Intech software? Any other cables I'll need? and is the drive bootable? Thanks

Hi...

most of the info is on the 'Gurus site on the Plextor page but here's the capsule summary since I just did that to my 7300's...

(1) pull stock CD-ROM
    (2) put in Plextor
    (3) reboot computer
    (4) install Intech CD-ROM toolkit (or you can do that prior to 1)
    (5) enjoy...

Now -
    (1) - I didn't reconnect the audio - you need a specific one and all the details are on that page - the original one won't work due to differences in the pins
    (2) - I can't seem to boot from it using the "C" key - but I can boot using the CMD-SHIFT-OPTION-DELETE keypress which bypasses the hard drive (At least I think that's the key stroke pattern - it's on a post-it stuck to the case at work).
    (3) I don't have anything else on the internal SCSI bus so I left the Plextors the way they are shipped, which is with termination on.

No complaints at all - everything works fine.

HTH

Chris.

So I'll be getting the Intech software, and it says it is "delivered electronically"- do they email it to me?

I ordered the Intech stuff on Monday & it was in my email on Tues. All you have to do is de-compress the attachnent & install. The utility/controlpanel is very simple & the player is cool with choice of display & button colors. Had an issue w/ Toast reader(Toast was winning) so I disabled the Toast ext. & everything is running great.

HTH LOL

YUP -it comes as a BIG attachment - hope your e-mail server can deal with the download.. Then you install it (store it somewhere safe just in case it gets munged somehow).

Have fun

Chris

I'm using a Hotmail email account now, hopefully that can take the attatchment. I will probably order the software tomorrow. Also, do I need a different bezel to use with the Plextor CD-ROM?

Hotmail has a 1 MB limit on attachments. Check on the size before you buy as you may need to have it sent to someone else.

I have an AOL account too, should I send it there?

i am pretty sure Intech does a web download as well...otherwise if you email magician the proof of purchase he may be able to give you the unlock code if you take it right off the FTP site.

As for the bezel - take a look at the Plextor page:
    http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...romdrives.html

I think it fits...(take a look at the bottom of the page

To wit: Regarding Bezels : Another common question is whether the standard Apple CD-ROM bezels are compatible. The answer is, generally, yes. The eject button on most Macs we have tested with this mechanism lines up fine. One exception is the PlexWriter 8/20. The tray on the PlexWriter 8/20 does not line up quite correctly on 9600, 8600, and G3 MT's, and a third-party bezel, part number K8659, "5.25-inch CD/CD-R/DVD Kit," is required. Additionally, the emergency eject, the little paperclip hole, frequently does not line up, regardless of which Mac you use, unless you are installing into a clone like a Power Computing or UMAX machine, which leaves the entire front aspect of the CD-ROM exposed. ....

HTH

Chris

no need for audio adapter cables anymore, as long as you are running CDST and OS8.6 or later.

you can use digital audio. Works great.

The PlexWriter 12/10/32S tray will not clear the stock CD-ROM bezel in a 9600 although it looks like some minor filing would do the job. I use the open face bezel that Chris mentions

you might be able to gently adjust the mechanism itself in the drive bay....sounds like it's just a matter of mere millimeters.

I looked, but didn't see. The drive is screwed to the metal tray which is not adjustable. I can force the plastic bezel up the mm or so that I need with my thumbs but it won't stay put. Anyway, I'm happy with the open bezel which allows access to all the front controls and purty lights.

I still haven't picked up the Plextor drive yet as I just noticed the 72x Kenwood TrueX drive on the IDE Pages of Heck section. For $129 and 72x speed it seems impressive. I do a lot of gaming on my 8600/450 Powerlogix G4, and I would think 72x would be a huge improvement over my stock Apple/Matshita 12x clanky drive. The VST Ultratek card I have is ATAPI compliant, and CD-ROMs are noted fully compatible with the card so I would just need the Intech CD/DVD speed tools as I will definately be getting. Do the Gurus have this drive set up in any of their machines?

I have the Kenwood 52X TrueX SCSI drives in every one of my Macs, NuBus and PCI. Works great and bootable and sustained reads above 7MB/s. It is Ultra Narrow (Fast-20) 50-pin, so presumably peak/instantaneous reads would be above 10MB/s. No experience with the 72X IDE version. magician would know. k

i've had one here for awhile, now, been planning to stuff it into an old Moto StarMax my son and I are going to upgrade just for gaming and MP3 stuff, along with a 16x PlexWriter. He'll be here late this month, so I should have definitive feedback by late June.

last time I messed with them, they had audio extraction issues. Not sure if those were driver related or due to firmware on the drive or what.

no problems with gaming. That I know about.