Thread: How to defunkify an ibook?

- Or -

"Geeze, what's that stank?"

We have a white ibook at work that stinks. Yes, stinks. As in locker room BO. This thing will put you out of the room. A 12' by 12' room with the door open and the window open. Anybody using will get some strange looks....

No idea why, my best guess is someone left it in their gym bag with some nasty smelling stuff.

We tried cleaning it by wiping the case down with wet paper towels and even a little glass cleaner, but the fumes are still curling everyone's nose hairs. It's like that Seinfeld episode with the smelly car. "What IS that smell!?!"

I'm am afraid the funky stank has impregnated the case plastic or something....

Any ideas on what we can use to safely clean the case? At this point the "safely" part is getting less important, as the thing is unusable in its current condition.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I suspect something got inside. I repair these things for a "laptop campus" and you'd be surprised as to what can get into the cases when being carried around in a student's backpack. Dig around for the manual and figure out how to take the top and bottom case off. Blow it out and give the insides of the case a gentle cleaning.

Good idea.

We have cracked open a few for HD replacement, etc. so no big deal there.

This was carried by a "professional" not a student, for whatever that is worth (not much!).
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin