Thread: Wallstreet Sleep/Display Abnormalities

I've got a 266 Wallstreet with OS X, 18gb HD and 384Mb RAM that was failing to light up the screen on start-up and would not re-light after sleeping. I think it was doing that even before I upgraded it from OS 9. On start-up, I could bring the screen to life by pressing the brightness button if I didn't wait too long. <P>So I bought a "new" backup battery on-line and fixed the problem completely for probably a couple of months. I also noticed that if I was keeping iTunes actively playing mp3s that there was never a problem. It would always wake up.

The problem has returned with a vengence. Does it seem likely that I was sold a crappy battery or should that even matter if it's always plugged in?

The main battery died long ago and other batteries that I bought on-line have been a disaster. That's a whole 'nother issue. Genuine Apple batteries cost about half the value of the machine. The 2 others I've tried actually crashed the machine. Any ideas wassUP?

Heh DB

I dunno if this is related to your deal... sometimes WSs won't wake up from sleep in 10...the hdd will spin up... it'll make all of the sounds like it is all gonna wqork but no backlight... so... the fix is to boot into 9 form CD or hdd... and then go back to X... all will be well after that... Startup from CD via "C" or hold cmd+opt+shft+del

Is it really possible to start-up in 9 and go to OS X from there? I have considered whiping the HD and starting over with only 9. I'd like to use the machine for internet radio and MP3s. For that, I'd like to use the later iTunes that work with X. It seems OS 9 versions have sleep/freeze problems of their own. I've noticed this on 2 other machines, both 9600s- one upgraded to G3, the other to G4. A consultant once told me that anything fun was going to cause trouble. So far, he seems to be right.

This is just a fix for the issue that some of the PowerBook G3 Series (and the Pismo) seem to "experience". Literally, if your WS goes to sleep while runnin in OSX it can have a hard time wakeing up... black screen... the fix is to boot into OS9 once. Shut down. Boot into OSX. No issues with the screen after that (until the next time). Boot from an OS9 (or even an OS8.x CD (maybe not OS8.1)). Then shutdown. Then boot from X on the harddrive... the screen should come back to life... I dunno why...

A friend of mine with a similar Wallstreet has had my problem but it went away after getting a new main battery, not the back-up battery. His theory is that the back-up battery is kept charged by the main battery and not from being plugged into ac. Since my battery is gone/worthless, he loaned me his good one as a test. Same problem for me. In the meantime, his machine, plugged into AC was fine for a few days or more, then it started exhibiting the blank screen/sleep problems that mine had. Anybody know about this?

Spaz2, I have to admit I viewed your fix with suspicion, partly because I didn't read it well enough. So I finally tried it, simple enough. Amazingly, on the first X start-up the old, bad behaviour was gone. The machine went to a lit screen without any help. I write this after only the first start-up but it's so promising I can't help myself. More later, especially if it doesn't work.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Cool... I hope it remains free of the "issue"... I wish I knew why it does that but it does... I should have linked to the other forums were I found this "fix"... it may have dispelled your doubt and then... you would be out of the black faster... sorry.

So far, waking up everytime. My friend, who doesn't have this problem, needs to start-up in 9 periodically. Maybe that's why he's free of this same problem.