Thread: broken pb?

sitting here in my dorm room...har...har...my friend suddenly could not boot his pb. symptoms: no chime, when battery pack and power are removed the monitor light stays on. any help would be appreciated asap.

--spud

tachyon Guest

You have not said what model pb it is.
    Therefore you must visit http://til.info.apple.com and search for
    "Resetting the Power Manager"
    Follow Apple's instructions, like when they say "repeat 2 or 3 times" they mean it.

those CPU cards can come unsteated and cause a similar problem. I often run into this after installing RAM. Those ZIF sockets were much easier to work with...

------------------
    Life in the fast lane leads to:
    The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

good deal. i'll try that tonight. thanks alot.
    --spud.

When you say the monitor light stays on, do you mean a second external monitor? If so, that would be normal, since the monitor draws it's power from it's own cord. I can't concieve of the powerbook monitor remaining powered up with power and battery removed. If it is, is the light flashing? (sleep mode).

I recommend the power reset thing also, but I think we are looking at a dead motherboard battery here.The "no chime" gives it away.

Usually if it's the power manager, you will get chime and screen, but then you get the flashing question mark on the floppy, (no system installed).

If you have an external monitor, disconnect it until you can sort out your problem.

Terribly confused...

tachyon Guest

Tekcan said:
    "Usually if it's the power manager, you will get chime and screen, but then you get the flashing question mark on the floppy, (no system installed)."

I don't know where you got that idea from. It seems like you are getting the Power Manager confused with the PRAM. Resetting the Power Manager ALSO resets the PRAM, but not the other way around. If the PRAM is scrambled, then perhaps a Mac will not be searching for the real Startup Disk, even if there is a valid one available. The Question Mark on the floppy indicates that a Mac cant even find a valid startup volume (i.e. when you have NO hard disk attached)

As I have said in other posts, the Mac's volume could be set to zero, so you will not hear a startup chime. If you can get it to boot at all then zapping the PRAM will fix this.

The "monitor light" that weenies referred to is the little LED on the Powerbook, so it?s probably a G3 series with black keyboard. Most people then go on to assume that 1. the "whole darn thing" is dead 2. the power supply is dead or 3. the PRAM battery is dead. The PRAM battery is rechargeable, and will drain completely after approx 5 hours with no battery or AC adapter plugged in. Then the Power Manger will reset itself (!). Then it takes 48 hours to recharge itself completely.

dragon_x is also correct in saying that removing the CPU cards to install RAM in the bottom slot can give this symptom.

PS although Apple says to reset the Power Mangler with battery and AC removed, if it still wont work then do it with them attached. Then you'll hear the little fan spin up (if it's a black keyboard G3 series)

[This message has been edited by tachyon (edited 29 July 2001).]

The Powerbook in question in a Powerbook 3400c. There is no second monitor. The little green LED on the top of the powerbook monitor is staying on sometimes. Maybe every ten times(it's pretty random) he boots up his computer it won't boot, but the little LED will stay on, indicating power, even though he removes the power cord and the removable battery. I tried flashing the PRAM for him when it was in this state but it didn't work. We haven't had time to reset the power manager, because he is always gone. Thanks for the possible solutions. I really appreaciate it.

--spud.