Thread: OK I'm lost trying to add NVMe SSd to Mac Pro 2020.

Default OK I'm lost trying to add NVMe SSd to Mac Pro 2020.

I see these differentiations: M.2 SSD, PCIe SSD, NVMe SSD, U.2 SSD, PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.3

I know i need a heat sinked SSD but I cant tell from sales sites and they dont always say.

Then sometimes the adapter card has the heat sink.

Then there needs to be an adapter card, which range from $18 to $244 and +; 1 or 2 bays is enough for me:
    https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDACC4M2O/

And then some are 5 year, some are 3 year...

This is for lite video and heavy photoshop.

Is some one here an experienced user on this stuff?
    Or is there a definite web resource with answers please?
    Thanks Steve z

Lots of good info in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-ahci.2146725/

I have a the kryoM.2 https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product...oducts_id=3659 with an Intel 2TB blade as a boot drive in my 2010 5,1. Running Mojave with the Sapphire 580. Seems to be be totally stable. Also have a Sonnet card with eSATA/2 SATA SSDs, and another in one of the stock bays. USB 3.0 card. Just threw in a 5690 CPU. Probably the way this thing will stay until it dies. No plans for Catalina.

I do primarily audio work so no crazy RAID setups here. The Intel blade does around 800-1000 MBps by itself. The system has no perceptible lag. The SSDs on the Sonnet card are in the mid 500s. No spinners in the machine means it's virtually silent, and stays plenty cool.

Some of the goofballs over at MRF have four blade RAID setups that are doing 10K+. Those setups aren't cheap, but they have smokin' throughput.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane View Post
    Lots of good info in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-ahci.2146725/

I have a the kryoM.2 https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product...oducts_id=3659 with an Intel 2TB blade as a boot drive in my 2010 5,1. Running Mojave with the Sapphire 580. Seems to be be totally stable. Also have a Sonnet card with eSATA/2 SATA SSDs, and another in one of the stock bays. USB 3.0 card. Just threw in a 5690 CPU. Probably the way this thing will stay until it dies. No plans for Catalina.

I do primarily audio work so no crazy RAID setups here. The Intel blade does around 800-1000 MBps by itself. The system has no perceptible lag. The SSDs on the Sonnet card are in the mid 500s. No spinners in the machine means it's virtually silent, and stays plenty cool.

Some of the goofballs over at MRF have four blade RAID setups that are doing 10K+. Those setups aren't cheap, but they have smokin' throughput.
    OK about that first link: "Genuine Apple NVMe drives " Maybe this article is for motherboard SSD's? Rather than PCIe SSD's?
    Thanks for that second link. I was hoping for a TWO bay adapter card.
    Also hoping to get around 3000 MB/s. Plenty of promises at sales sites.
    Still concerned about compatibility tho. There are so many terms and
    unmentioned caveats that I'm still lost, over all.

Only way you get 3000 MB/sec is with a Revision 3 PCIe bus. Max is half that through a Rev 2 bus, which is all a MacPro 2012 or earlier has.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Only way you get 3000 MB/sec is with a Revision 3 PCIe bus. Max is half that through a Rev 2 bus, which is all a MacPro 2012 or earlier has.
    But this is not relevant to the 2020 Mac Pro ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevez View Post
    OK about that first link: "Genuine Apple NVMe drives " Maybe this article is for motherboard SSD's? Rather than PCIe SSD's?
    Thanks for that second link. I was hoping for a TWO bay adapter card.
    Also hoping to get around 3000 MB/s. Plenty of promises at sales sites.
    Still concerned about compatibility tho. There are so many terms and
    unmentioned caveats that I'm still lost, over all.
    You need to read the first post in that thread completely not just skim it. It has pretty much everything you need to know about PCIe based SSDs in Mac Pro through 7.1 though 7.1 data is still being collected. It also contains info on others as well. Bleeding edge, and all that. It's a general reference to what works, and what doesn't.

OK I did everything you said and I successfully used that kryo m2 and samsung evo + 500 ssd. Thank you.

You're welcome. There are faster solutions for the 7,1, but there are also issues surfacing with some of them. I'm keeping an eye on this just out of curiosity since I have no plans to go there anytime soon. My 5,1 is still overkill for my work, and considering Catalina/new Mac hardware I'm beginning to look at an AMD based system for the future.

It makes me sad.