Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reconfigure old Burly Box to new?

molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    That's not an eSATA connector. It's internal SATA. Only ones we ever sold were black or white.... and way back in 2003-2005, maybe optionally a couple years after that. They got replaced by eSATA in 2005 and as PCI cards came out with the eSATA connectors we got rid of the internal SATA connector used externally. There are no cards made to fit those for over 10 years, so you'd have to change cabling or find eSATA to SATA adapter cables. We haven't had adapter cables in 6 or 8 years.
    well, black or white, they came from you. So I am outta luck for a direct connection?

You don't read what I wrote?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

You don't read what I wrote?
    yeah but I get confused.
    So now get those cables and use your card?

Your box is SATA.

Any card you get is eSATA.

Need eSATA to SATA cables. So yes. If you want to install a new card then you will need adapter cables. Will work perfectly though.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Your box is SATA.

Any card you get is eSATA.

Need eSATA to SATA cables. So yes. If you want to install a new card then you will need adapter cables. Will work perfectly though.

Rick

Well I got the cables and they immediately broke and broke the mount too so now I have nothing.
    THAT's why I ask questions.

Pictures are good. Broke the cables and broke the mount is hard to visualize.

Don't know if you know this, but I can't tell what you have, or have ever purchased, based on your forum posts.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Pictures are good. Broke the cables and broke the mount is hard to visualize.

Don't know if you know this, but I can't tell what you have, or have ever purchased, based on your forum posts.
    yes of course.
    The purchased cable IS what should have worked. It just went in with difficulty, and then came out broken and broke the burly mount too.
    Is there any reason I should show you the original burly?

It pull the tab out of the connector core? I suppose the cables are old enough to cause that kind of brittleness. A picture of the back would have told us what you have. But now we know. It is just a guessing game from my end when the description is that you have an 'odd' connector. Took a while to figure it out.

I might have some parts around here.... toss a lot of old stuff, so have to look around. Take a pic of the connectors that are damaged, see what we see.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Rick, thanks for looking at this. Here are the photos I probably should have sent at the beginning.
    The acquired cord was snug, then when extracted, ripped apart. You will see the host mount has damage now.
    I cant tell if there is a broken off part in there, or what, but if so, what on earth tool will fish that out?
    Also, apparently the new MacPro uses all the same standard PCIe architecture, so why cant I just use
    the old PCIe card for this burly in the new computer?

Name:  _D8H2292.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  _D8H2290.jpg
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  _D8H2288 copy.jpg
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  _D8H2289.jpg
Size:  56.5 KB

I'd use an o-ring pick to pull the pieces out of the socket on the Burly. Have needed to do that a couple times. Never seen a new cable fall apart though. That sucks.

Old SATA card will not have drivers for new operating system. At least none I have experience with. I don't even remember what cards came with internal SATA connections. Other than the Sonnet 8 port card....

Name:  IMG_1702.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  5.9 KB
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin