Thread: Cleaning out the closet!!

Question Cleaning out the closet!!

I have it an old clam shell iBook, iMacs G3 G4 & G5, and dead Mid 2010 MacBook taking up closet space.
    Want to remove all my info from to dispose in ewaste recycling.
    I never disposed of any of these "Keep Sakes" on the ones that still start up and work but OS obsolete do I Erase including free space and leave it a that or do I need to do more?

Thanks,

These days a simple erase is almost as simple to unerase. If there is anything personal at all, there is almost no excuse to let the drive fall into another persons hands. You can do things like 3 or 7 pass secure erasure of the entire drive, then stick new stuff over the top, but for non operational equipment that is a tough chore. Easier to pull drives and destroy them physically, then send the rest off to recycle.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Thank You

Thanks Ricks
    Proceeded with your advice being anticipated; found that Clamshell & iMac G4 cannot find OS. Now on to HD Removal.
    Have G5 Erased and set up with dummy account and false info using original install discs. (Sad only reason replaced it in 2012 was "run away cooling Fan")
    Have G3 sitting on Kitchen table starting up...Another good unit and only reason I kept it is OS 9 Photoshop Deluxe but haven't used it in years.

To Quote Paul Harvey "GOOD DAY"

My pleasure to assist. Nice that someone remembers there's a forum :^)

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

You know, I looked the the span of those models and couldn't recall the steps for the G3's OS8.6. Nice to know Ricks, you younger fellows can remember that far back. I say that in part, because it was more than 20 years ago, and so much has changed in the world. I'm sure it was happening then but the pace seems so fast now. Steam engine, internal combustion engine . . . maybe time is a logarithmic spiral.

Default Thanks Both of YOU

Took them all to be recycled this morning. Though I did not join this great group until 2003 My MAC Life started in the early 1990s when my wife's boss sent her home with a Mac Performa (That's all I remember about it except it was OS 7) and I was hooked!!
    Maybe someone from windows come across them and LOOK INTO MAC'S PAST and come up with some solutions for windows 10. Been over 2 1/2 years since I retired and my employer was transitioning trying to get windows 7, 8 (their worst nightmare) and 10 to play nice. (Noticed when I was at VA in Little Rock last month they are still running windows 7)
    I thought about that situation because I still have my wife's iBook G4 with OS 9 support (Photoshopt Deluxe) networked with all our intel macs to occasionally move photos and they Play nice over the WiFi. (Also Grandkids love to play games on it, well they used to the grandson went to college this year and next year the granddaughter moves on)

Again Thanks!

Two Photos recapping the POWER PC Experience.Name:  Bryce & Destiny Memories.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  97.6 KBName:  POWER PC Memories.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  46.9 KB

Need to do this sometime myself. I have stuff in the closet back to 68K. Haven't needed any of it in years.