Thread: A few new MacPro fall 2019 question

Default A few new MacPro fall 2019 question

Dear Gurus,

regarding MacPro fall 2019:

Maybe I want to stick with my beautiful NEC monitors.

Will those connectors remain the same? (DVI-D)

Will there be a way to connect my eSATA drives?

Can anyone suggest a most appropriate configuration

from this page, eg processor, memory:

https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/

for Photoshop files, some times up to 1.5 GB;

video editing: generally 60 4K 2 minute clips at a time input;

2 minute finished videos 4K output.

Thanks,
    Steve z

Connecting the Burlys isn't a big deal. Just drop your PCIe card into one of the slots. No problemo.

As far as hooking up your monitor, no problem either. At worst you will need an adapter.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I can only add that generally speaking, rendering video is limited primarily by CPU, so the more/faster cores you have, the faster the rendering. Like building any hotrod....how fast can you afford to go? I would guess the 12 or 16 Core could be the sweet spot, but too soon to tell. More is almost always better...if the budget allows.

Photoshop Loves RAM. Back in the olden days (10 years ago) RAM would be a precious commodity for serious Photoshop work. Now, even a decent portable will have 16GB of RAM, so less of an issue. Considering the base amount is 32GB, I would think that would be adequate. If you plan to really multitask, and want to futureproof a bit, 48GB might be wise.

If I were pinching pennies...I would spend on CPU. RAM is upgradeable, and odds are it will be cheaper in the future, based on past experience. Easy enough to monitor as you work and see if you truly need more, and perhaps how much. CPU on the other hand, is likely not upgradeable, and if so would be expensive and perhaps risky. Most importantly, you know rendering video will use all there is, so it won't be wasted. You can't "over buy" CPU on a video editing box.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin