Thread: App Store Icons missing

Confused App Store Icons missing

On 15th of July I downloaded an app from the apple app store (Gemini 2 duplicate finder) to my iMac mid 2012 OS High Sierra). After installing the app functioned, but after I received a receipt from Apple on the 17th for purchase of the app the next opeing I received a message the app was corrupted that I should uninstall, download and reinstall the app. When opening "App Store" the normal icons at the top for "Featured Top Charts Categories Purchases & Updates" are missing. I was busy over the weekend and got back to the issue this afternoon. So far I have tired opening the app store; quitting, restart and open the app store. Next I quit the app store and restarted in "safe mode". Neither returned the incons to the app store when logged into it.
    For illustrations I am attaching a screenshot of the iMac and a screen shot from my wife's MacBook Air to illustrate the icon I reference.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images    

No clue. Call Apple support?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Rolleyes Post in Apple Community

"Given various other postings discussing issues with and discussing the removal of that and of similar cleaning tools, a (partial) reinstall of macOS may be required to remediate any remaining corruptions. And by all appearances, you do have an OS corruption here. Which means downloading High Sierra from the Mac App Store, and re-installing it here. Do not erase and reformat. That re-install is usually harmless to your files, but does reload the operating system and its files."

But again, do have that external backup. Or two. Your own data is the toughest to recover.
    When I went to restore OS I discovered the recover partition "Poof"...I have time machine back ups but worthless without the restore.
    Another learning opportunity here...thinking of using my wife's MacBook Air to create a bootable disc or erase & install...Haven't decided.

Question Question: Ricks

It appears the only app affected is the App Store App. Am I correct? The only way to get a uncorrupted App Store App is from the OS?

"Given various other postings discussing issues with and discussing the removal of that and of similar cleaning tools, a (partial) reinstall of macOS may be required to remediate any remaining corruptions. And by all appearances, you do have an OS corruption here. Which means downloading High Sierra from the Mac App Store, and re-installing it here. Do not erase and reformat. That re-install is usually harmless to your files, but does reload the operating system and its files."
    I've done this a couple of times and it does work for many issues.

Confused NEW OS Installed

Created Bootable Disk and installed new OS. Still no Ap Store Icons plus I have a browser issue. "Safari can't find Server" in two situations: (1) I received an email from the electric company my statement had posted. Clicking on the Link "Safari Can't find Server" Select the website in the favorites I restored from the Export Bookmarks before the OS download and Safari connects.
    (2) After downloading the statement from the electric company website, when I log out "Safari Can't find Server". Attachment #1

Additionally when I restart and log in I get a window for "Azotel Outside" (Which I've never heard of and Safari can't find the server)
    Attachment #2

Starting believe, aside from learning how to create a bootable disk, I just spent over 1/2 day I could have put toward a erase and install.
    Someone please send me a link for the erase and install and how to recreate the recovery still partition missing from the iMac.Name:  Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 8.38.46 PM.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  7.5 KBName:  Azotel Outside.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  13.5 KB

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here, and it seems there's nothing to loose, you could clear all your history in Safari. If you reinstalled the your bookmarks, they could be corrupted. Maybe someone else will chime in here, but that's what I'd do next, right or wrong

Arrow Cleared History, Emptied Cache, and verified correct time

Clear History, Empty Cache, and verify correct time were first steps both before reinstall and after. I did export bookmarks and import them after reinstall. Safari Can't Connect to Server, most often when I select a link within an email to go to a page. (Example: Received email My electric bill statement was ready. Clicking on the link to go to their page resulted in Safari message Safari can't connect to Server. The site loads correctly when accessing with bookmark in favorites. After loggin off again got the Safari message).When select some of the favorites to go to the website all but three of them load correctly. One of the loads the Safari Can't connect... the other two reroute to Azotel Outside site. (One of those is Apple.com) TO TOP THINGS OFF: THIS IT TRUE OF ALL MACS ON OUR WiFi Airport extreme network . I have never heard of Azotel and the search for it's website for info, won't load because Safari can't connect. I got an email from our ISP yesterday after I finished getting back on line that they are in the process of upgrades on their towers and on servers...I am starting to wonder if the problem mght not be local. When the errors started I had forgotten that Shortly after 11 pm on the 19th the internet went down and when I got up on the 20th the internet was still down about 7:30 AM The ISP tech support had me attempted to connect to by having me connect to the POE supply with my MacBook by ethernet with the MAC Address. I was told I needed a new power supply and someone would be out. I received a text from the owner shortly after noon I should be up but no explanation. Another email today to expect short periodic interruption.
    Have you ever heard of Azotel? A short time ago I also got the Azotel log in page message when logging in after restart for our WiFi log in. I did a search for Azotel on Firefox and it could not find server...Out of curiosity I did a search on the iMac for certificates and An Azotel exists but won't let me delete it. (Says it is a domain control & root system certificate)

The Gemini 2 was not installed on the MacBook and my wife's MacBook Air I am left to wonder if the Azotel came over my network from the ISP tech support connection to my MacBook by Ethernet when the WiFi was restored. A LOT of WONDERING HERE, but I am Waiting in SUSPENSE for the ISP to finish tower and server upgrades & workout bugs. I sent an email to the ISP owner to ask if they use AZOTEL.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I did a search for Azotel and seems to be a service that ISPs use for wireless internet services. Are you using an ISP via wireless service? I'm guessing that the issues your ISP is having is the reason that you end up at the Azotel web site.

Question @ yeungfeng YES Our ISP is Wireless

My ISP is www.techstream.net in Pine Bluff Arkansas.
    I entered them in the address bar of Safari, Firefox, & Google Chrome with the same result. When I enter www.Techstream.net & Azotel prefixes Techstream in the address bar and reroutes to Azotel.
    I did a Google Search in Firefox and Techstream's site info come up, but select the main website, support, residential plans or business plans and each is rerouted to Azotel.
    I believe it possible when I gave my MAC address on my MacBook to Tech Support & he used attempted to connect to our radio it added the MacBook MAC Address to TechStream's network...I know the MAC Address of our Airport Express is used for communication with out network over their radio transceiver on the roof that communicates with their tower about 2 miles away.
    So, I took screen shots of the WiFi Network Info then went to Airport Utility and looked at my MacBook. Same IP and MAC Address. Checked MAC Address of Airport Extreme Not the same as WiFi Network Info.Name:  TechStream reroutes to Azotel.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  16.5 KBName:  Google Search for TechStream.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  13.6 KBName:  Network INFO.jpg
Size:  8.1 KBName:  MacBook MAC Address & IP Address.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  9.4 KBName:  Airport MAC Addresses.jpg
Size:  8.4 KB
    If I am on the correct PATH. I need to contact Techstream to have my the Network info IP and MAC changed to the Airport Express.
    In Hind sight, I never remember Tech support wanting the MAC Address of one of my computers to connect to the ISP..
    BTW I selected the Link to TechStream.net in the first line and it routed me to Azotel. Request you see if it will load correctly from your end.
    Last edited by wojo; 07-27-2019 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Additional feed back

Exclamation OPPS: Did some IP protocol look ups and some of my post is useless INFO.

The NETWORK INFO and MAC Addresses are not the same on My MacBook and the Airport Extreme.
    I opened network utility and according to the IPs in the traces the routing is all screwed up; going back and forth from between private and public IP addresses. I will send the info to ISP and see if they can fix the routing. The Settings in my Airport match DNS servers I had last, but with them working on upgrades on towers and servers, I might need new DNS Server info.Name:  MacBook Techstream Trace.jpg
Size:  15.4 KBName:  ISP Router & DNS Servers.jpg
Size:  12.0 KB

There's a lot of POLITE PEOPLE WHO KNOWS THIS IS A LEARNING OPPORTUNITY & I thank you for not calling me Stupid.

Oh man, there's so much to know and when you start down the rabbit hole of routers and ISP service providers, it really gets confusing. I actually don't know all that much, but you may become the MacGurus most knowledgable when you get this all worked out.

Because you connect to the internet via wireless service, it would seem the problem is on their end, not yours. It would seem logical that Azotel is the ISPs "software" provider and you are getting into their "stuff". Changing the towers would be a likely culprit in the process. I bet they come back with some sort of fix for you, hopefully soon.

Cool It was tech support

AFTER ALL WAS SAID AND DONE!! Reinstall of OS was Not needed....
    Response to my email to Owner last night:
    I just saw this. I am sorry the idiots at tech support decided to take matters into their own hands and not put your account back to the way it was.
    I will contact their supervisors and tell them how wonderful I think their techs are.
    You should be able to power cycle now and go back to working.
    Our system accounting is based on IP and MAC validation. If one doesn’t match then no internet access.

Larry

Simply put the Tech Support ID 10T that had me hook up over the ethernet to find the radio transceiver left my MacBook MAC address on the server...
    When "Larry put my MAC address of the Airport Extreme back in the Server, All is OK"

Still don't understand it all, but Like yeungfeng said, "when you start down the rabbit hole of routers and ISP service providers, it really gets confusing.”
    And in a text from "Larry": "If Tech Support ever wants you to hook up like that again, DON'T and text me."

Thanks to all for their input...And Thank the Lord I know the owner so was able to bypass "support".
    ALL IS WELL, Even the icons on the Apple App Store are back, all broken links have been restored and not to mention the AZOTEL GONE!

Awesome.

Wish I had something to add when you were having trouble. Like you, I run a wireless radio system with a dish up my driveway. I'm out in the boonies and had to bury 600 ft of conduit up to that dish and pull fiber up there. And like you, I am friends with the ISP owners. I don't even pretend to know their shit. I just call up and throw myself to their mercy. I also ALWAYS start out by saying I don't know what I screwed up, but it ain't working. I never assume it is their fault any longer as I can miss some of the simplest shit and cause an outage all by my ownself.

Glad you get a real answer! That's a big plus.

yeungfeng is a pretty smart dude.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Post Happy Camper

Thanks Ricks...
    And, early on I did consider Apple Support.
    In the end turned out that the download from the Gemini 2 Duplicates finder app was not a fault.
    Currently all apps on both my MacBook, my wifes MacBook Air & my iMac, except Microsoft office suites, are native to the OS.
    I do need to find all the duplicates in my photos. Same photos in two different folders, and in some cases three as I look.

Again, Thanks ALL...
    Last edited by wojo; 07-29-2019 at 08:22 PM.

Thanks Ricks. I'll use you as a reference when I apply to work at Apple, someday.