Thread: Quicksilver 2002 Drive Issues

Default Quicksilver 2002 Drive Issues

I know it's old, but I have taken on the project of reviving it.

The issue is that after a logic board replacement, the computer no longer can correctly access external SATA drives. The boot drive is an ATA connected to the motherboard controller. The SATA drives are in an external Burly enclosure and I would like to make use of the space for a project with this computer.

Details:
    Quicksilver 2002 dual 1GHz
    Sonnet Tempo-X eSATA 8 (driver 2.2.4)

The external drives show up in System Profiler but not Disk Utility. No volume information is displayed for the view in System Profiler.

I have in order:
    - Reset the PRAM
    - Reset the NVRAM
    - Reset the PMU

No change in behavior.

The computer was bought new with SCSI and the ATTO ExpressPCI UL3D host adapter (previously retired, but kept). I installed that card, and the behavior is a little different but I also can't successfully access the SCSI drives. With the SCSI controller, Disk Utility finds the drives, but they report as uninitialized. When I try to initialize the SCSI drives, I receive no error, but the drive remains uninitialized.

I then tried a different SATA controller, Seritek 1VE4. The behavior of this controller was the same as the SCSI controller.

I pulled a SATA drive and put in into a Newertech Voyager S3 drive dock attached to a different computer. The drive can be accessed and the volume can be mounted and read.

The replacement logic board is a model 820-1342-B, the same as the original board. The Boot ROM version is 4.3.3f2.

At this point, I'm at a loss. Note, the battery is new.

Thanks,
    Michael

Might give this chmod 777 method a try.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/956778

There are other ways that drive volumes end up invisible, most of them I have always resolved with a Terminal command.

sudo chmod 777 /Volumes/your drive name

it will ask for your admin password.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

The drive isn't in the Volumes directory.

Code:
    morpheus:~ root# ls -la /Volumes
    total 32
    drwxrwxrwt    5 root     admin   170 Jul 21 17:58 .
    drwxrwxr-t   47 root     admin  1700 Jul 21 17:57 ..
    -rw-rw-rw-    1 michael  admin  6148 Jan 11  2010 .DS_Store
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 michael  staff    82 Jan 28  2010 ._MICHAEL'S I
    lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     admin     1 Jul 21 17:58 Macintosh HD -> /
    Thanks,
    Michael
    Last edited by Wohlstadter; 07-21-2019 at 04:47 PM.

what's on a simple: diskutil list
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Got me.... in system profiler but not any of the lists? Wow.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Here are screen shots in System Profiler of the PCI card and one of the external SATA drives.

Name:  Card.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  95.3 KBName:  Drive.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  83.2 KB

Thanks,
    Michael

Here is the exact same drive, removed from the Burly enclosure and put into a Newertech Voyager S3 drive dock and connected to the Mac via USB. Obviously on this Mac the USB speed is far too slow. But it illustrates that the drive itself is fine. There is just something amiss with either the Burly enclosure, the Sonnet SATA card, the driver, or something else I'm not sure what to check for.

I'm at a loss.

Name:  USB Mounted.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  56.1 KB

Thanks,
    Michael

Reinstall the driver. (check version in System Profiler under Extensions) Not sure if that OS will tell you whether the driver is loading or not.

You tried all the drive bays? And that is a port multiplier Burly?

You might do a Save of the Profiler and send me the file at support at macgurus dot com.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I will be able try the other bays tonight (or tomorrow). I will also check and re-install the driver. The enclosure is pretty old and does not support the port multiplier feature, hence the SATA 8 card.

Thanks,
    Michael

Try different cable. Try different port on card. Try different bay. Reinstall driver.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I tried the drive in each bay. No change. I reinstalled the driver. No change. I checked the Extensions list in System Profiler and the Extensions directory, the SonnetSATA.kext file was not present. I reinstalled the driver again. No error, but the file still wasn't there. I verified and repaired permissions. No change.

Attached is the system profiler file. However, if it sounds like a software issue to you, I can try a clean install of the operating system this weekend.

Thanks,
    Michael

Morpheus.spx.zip

As far as Profiler is concerned there is no driver installed for that card. The card is seen though.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Apparently it was the logic board.

I've spent the last week swapping parts and reinstalling drivers and performing clean installs to no avail. Made sure everything was seated well. Nothing.

I found a used 820-1342-B logic board for $22 and swapped that in this afternoon. Drives show up and all appears to be good.

Not sure why the computer would work and just the drive access would fail. Also it is interesting that only drives attached to PCI controllers were at issue. Perhaps there was an issue on the bus.

Bottom line is a "new to me" logic board fixed the issue.

Thanks for your time! I greatly appreciate it!

Michael

Good deal. Well worth the effort and probably kind of fun to bring the old beast back to life. Thanks for reporting back!

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I'm a bit of a grey beard and most of the computer breakdowns I have done where in the 80s and 90s. Much of my work nowadays is on the software/database side.

That said, five years ago my son pulled me partially out of retirement to build a photography workstation. We researched the parts, he purchased them, and then he and I assembled it. That was a great project.

Bringing the old Quicksilver back to life was a great project too. It was fun ... in the end. One of these days, I'd like to develop some soldering skills and recap my old SE. But that's another story.

Have a good one!