Thread: Imac 27" CRASHES RANDOMLY when connected to external hard drives. Please HELP!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Confused Imac 27" CRASHES RANDOMLY when connected to external hard drives. Please HELP!

Hi there!

I have a video editing suite with a late 2012 27" iMac (3.4Ghz i7, 32GB RAM, OS Running 10.14.4). Lately my system has been crashing randomly and a lot (up to multiple times an hour). Through an elimination process I've conquered that it happens only when my Areca hard drive (Areca ARC*8050T2 Thunderbolt 2.0) is mounted.

The crashes occur regardless of the software I'm running (even if only Finder is running).

please help!

Ilan,

Bounced my email to you. However here's what it says:

First step is to update drivers and firmware. Go to www.areca.com.tw. Select support. Drill down through thunderbolt to your model and download both driver/utility and latest firmware.

Second consideration is the thunderbolt cable. Thunderbolt2 cables have chips in the connectors on the ends and are the high failure point. Try a replacement cable.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin