Thread: Black Screen

Default Black Screen

It started Sunday night, the screen on my 2011 iMac 3.4 ghtz went dark. There was light on the edges of the screen. Restart produced the same result. Reset NVRAM and it started up and worked. My elation was quickly ended the next day when the same thing happened and this time the NVRAM reset gave me a black screen with vertical lines and then dark again. Restart with hardware test and the extended version showed nothing wrong. Restart into recovery mode and it seemed to fix it, yea. That was until just now. Once again the screen went dark and I'm at a loss as to what the heck it wrong. RAM? SSD? Video card? Any ideas?

Time to boot your backup. See if it is software.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Went there. Tried to boot from external drive and the same thing happens. I guess itís time to think about removing RAM. Itís interesting that I can get Hardware Test to run, but nothing else right now. Even Recovery produces the same result.

Patients is an exellent atribute, hope I continue to have it

I saw the genius at Apple today. His educated guess was that the CPU was the issue and that for only $600 they could fix it. Itís at the end of the cycle and wonít take Mojave. Must be time for something new(er). Good grief.

Well, good thing there's a money tree in yer back yard, eh?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

How did you know that? It's going to be plum naked when I'm done. Me, I'll be wearing a barrel with shoulder straps to keep it up. (Does anyone remember those really old cartoons)

One of the hardware tests said that the SSD was 48% for heat. Not sure if that means anything, but everything else was 100%. Made me wonder if the heat sensor failed and the heat fried the CPU. Doesn't really matter at this point. Now I have to think about removing the SSD. Ifixit says it difficult. I guess if you don't need it to go back together and work, it's not so hard.

The iMac comes apart pretty easy actually.

Going back together is trickier....but since you are scrapping it, no worries.

If you are bored and need a hobby, some of the parts are actually worth a little $ to scrap out.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Oh that's a good idea, hadn't thought of parting it out. What is most in demand, I wonder?