Thread: File transfers Question?

Confused File transfers Question?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB OS 10.13.6 froze up while on line and couldn't log off the website so I left it and came back in morning (8 hours) and eventually shut down with power button and after would not load, Long story short had to erase and install using disc utiliy in recovery partition because all the disc images in he sidebar were grayed out. MY QUESTION: I have files I work on and move back and forth over the WiFi between iMac and MacBook. Both are running same OS. Before the erase/install when I moved them back and forth I received as message "A folder namedd XXXX XX XXX already exists in this location.Do you want to replace it with the one you're copying?" That message is not showing, the file transfers but with a suffix numbering the file (i.e. "Gluten Recipes" new file becomes "Gluten Recipes1"

Not related to the file transfer but also an issue since the crash. Mac Mail downloads messages much slower on the iMac compared to the MacBook. (Before the messages loaded about the same on both.) Emails I need to keep are exported to an email back up folder on a USB external hard drive attached to the iMac. Emails are left on the server on MacBook, but iMac is set to delete from the server after download. Both are set to delete mail trash when closing the application.

I am attaching screen shots of the Library Mail Folders, but I am not sure about deleting any files in them.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

I have, over time, seen this before. I can only speculate about why and my first is Mac OS changes. How big are all your files? If you have an iTunes account you could have them on line, in iCloud and not have to move them. 5GBs free, 50GBs is .99 a month. I do the later and keep my bookkeeping data backed up locally and at iCloud.

If your internet speeds are the same, then it must be in mail somewhere. Since you are going between machines, maybe using one to check the other with Disk Utility.

This is all with the caveat that someone else will come along and give you the correct answer. These are just what I'd start with. Sometimes even just restarting the computer will correct some problems.

Good Luck!

Wouldn't scare me, with your backups, to clone the Macbook drive over top of the iMac drive.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Cool Resolved the mail download issue

Name:  Reason.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  122.3 KBNo more lag in email download: Friday night last the connection slowed down to 1-2kbps the software I downloaded last year (Internet Logger Pro) to monitor the connection. Checking for a drop in signal and found the POE cable from the power supply to the roof radio transmitter/received had burned terminals on the ethernet cable at the power supply end. The neighbor's tree also has grown over the past two years to where two limbs with full PLUMAGE are directly in line with my radio and the tower about two miles line of sight. The ISP came by yesterday and replace the connector, replaced the power supply (Precautionary:No visible damage to terminal) That gave me about 1/2 of the speed. The ISP is upgrading their infrastructure and had previously upgraded my radio to a "curved signal" not needing line of sight last year to get around the tree but now it's too obstructive. Part of the upgrade is that last month the ISP installed another tower about 1 to 1-1/4 miles in a more NE direction from my location with no trees within 400 to 500 ft. After relocating the antenna down the roof and directing to the new tower the signal is restored. The ISP owner made the service call and had me bring up and change my DNS Servers IP address and I'm a happy camper. The connection has NEVER reached the Mbps we pay for but now we're exceeding it by 5 Mbps. OK A LONG WAY OF SAYING APPLES TO APPLES CAN SOMETIMES BE APPLES AND ORANGES.

Thanks to Ricks & Yeungfeng whose comments gave me an idea for the file transfer issue. I've been using screen share to work on the iMac from the MacBook because then back up to the USB harddrive attached to the iMac and it tells warns "The filed named XXX Exists" thus updating data changes. (Acting as my wife's caretaker, chauffer, and chef and housekeeper, I've not had free time to look at Clone idea)

It just proves that 3 heads are better than one. Glad you got it all figured out! Certainly satisfaction coming to completion of such a test. Bravo!

We have the same thing here - radio dish to a tower on a mountain 7 miles away. To move the business here we had to do a site survey, and in the end, installed 600 feet of fiber optic cable and power to a location that could see said tower 7 miles away. Well worth it though.

Glad you're up and running. Love a happy ending.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin