Thread: Migration Assistant Won't Assist After Fresh Install

Default Migration Assistant Won't Assist After Fresh Install

I erased the hard drive on my MacBookPro7,1, and installed a clean copy of High Sierra. Then, I opened Migration Assistant, and tried to move the data from a sparsebundle on my MacPro3,1 to the laptop. There appears to be no easy way to do this anymore. From what I can tell, Migration Assistant only allows moving data from complete startup drives, and no longer recognizes mounted disk images. Does this mean that my only hope for migrating the data is to clone the mounted sparsebundle to become a startup disk on an external hard drive (over FireWire, since those are the enclosures I have)?

Or, more broadly: Does anyone know the right way to migrate data on a sparsebundle on my tower, to the startup disk of my laptop?

That a Time Machine backup? I've never tried to create a backup as a sparsebundle, let alone recover from one, so I am not much help here.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Well now I understand the sparsebundle concept a bit better. I found this and hope it provides you with an answer.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5194889

Default Problem Solved!

sparsebundle is the type of file recommended for backups by SuperDuper.

Older versions of MacOS Migration Assistant would restore from a disk image, but High Sierra will not (did I recall incorrectly?). I had to copy my sparsebundle disk image to a USB hard drive, which Migration Assistant then read.

Well, there ya go. You always knew there was a solution, somewhere. Congrats. And thanks for coming back and letting us all know.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin