Thread: RAM for upgraded Mac Pro 4.1 -> 5.1

Default RAM for upgraded Mac Pro 4.1 -> 5.1

Hello,

I have bought a used Mac Pro which has been upgraded from 4.1 to 5.1. I guess it's the logic board that has been replaced, because the original processor and memory is still installed in the machine. But would it bee possible to install RAM modules intended for Mac Pro 5.1 in my machine?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Typically, and I am an owner of an upgraded MacPro 4,1, all it takes to do said upgrade is to update the firmware on the 4,1 motherboard. So no swap out of hardware is necessary since the motherboards are the same.

The answer to the memory question is yes, you can run 1333 MHz memory in your now upgraded to 5,1 MacPro. All the installed memory has to be 1333 for it to run at that speed.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Typically, and I am an owner of an upgraded MacPro 4,1, all it takes to do said upgrade is to update the firmware on the 4,1 motherboard. So no swap out of hardware is necessary since the motherboards are the same.

The answer to the memory question is yes, you can run 1333 MHz memory in your now upgraded to 5,1 MacPro. All the installed memory has to be 1333 for it to run at that speed.

Rick
    Thank you Rick for your swift reply.

Best regards
    Larsbirger