Thread: Darned Permissions

Default Darned Permissions

Still on 10.12.6 and just recently Sophos is popping up saying:
    PHP Code:
    Please contact your system administratorYou Mac is running with Non-stadard permissions on key directories and your Mac may be insecure  Reference Sophos knowledge base article #131959 
    I've searched on their web site and found a questionable or at least it didn't make sense to me, set of terminal commands. I'm not ready to use those as I don't totally get terminal commands. I purchased their "premium" plan and had some luck finding a set of scripts to launch in terminal via text edit. That didn't help either.

Those darned permissions, how to we fix them now? Any ideas?

I'd be interested in anyone replying who knows this stuff. I never ran Sophos, always managed my permissions manually with Terminal or Finder. Which means I probably made a hash of things and am just really lucky. Don't know squat about Sophos, is the short of it.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

It would be nice if it said which ones were in question. In finder I can do, terminal could be terminal from my lack of experience there. Leaves me feeling just a little insecure

Dunno if you got this sorted, but I would start with repairing permissions.....probably already did that? Just in case: here.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks, I finally contacted SOPHOS. They explained how to remove the old items that were interfering with installing the new version:

Reboot into Recovery Mode (Command+R on boot)
    Open Utilities->Terminal
    Run the command: csrutil disable
    Reboot
    Open a Terminal, run the command: sudo chmod 755 /
    Reboot into Recovery Mode (Command+R on boot)
    Open Utilities->Terminal
    Run the command: csrutil enable
    Reboot
    Run our uninstaller

So I ran the uninstaller and then installed the latest version