Thread: MAC PRO (2013 Trash) unknown HW trouble

Default MAC PRO (2013 Trash) unknown HW trouble

Hello all.

I hope users with great knowledge about HW can help me with this issue.

I bought Mac Pro for my music studio to work with audio.

MY MAC:

Mac Pro "Quad Core" 3.7 (Late 2013) 3.7 GHz Q. Core Xeon E5-1620v2

Intro. October 22, 2013* Disc. April 4, 2017**
    Order ME253LL/A Model A1481 (EMC 2630)
    Family Late 2013 ID MacPro6,1
    RAM 64 GB (was 16GB) VRAM 2 GB
    Storage 256 GB SSD Optical None*

I was having random crashes in Logic Pro - beachballing on screensaver wakeup etc.
    I decided to test my rams with memtest86. Straight away i got many errors and without hesitation assumed they are bad and replaced them (as I was about to upgrade them anyway).
    But the problems remain. System is not stable and every now and then I get crashes and freezes.

Now I test each ram seperately and the results are..

RAM 1 SLOT 1 TEST 10 3078 errors
    RAM 1 SLOT 2 TEST 10 3078 errors
    RAM 1 SLOT 3 TEST 10 3078 errors
    RAM 1 SLOT 4 TEST 10 3078 errors

RAM 2 SLOT 1 TEST 10 3078 errors
    the rest are being tested still...

I run on board diag "D" on startup - and it shows no issues found.

I contacted RAM supplier and they advised that all modules were tested and there is no way all 4 are bad. And most likely my CPU or CPU Riser Card is faulty. (seems to be common issue with these Macs)

Can anyone advice how can I figure out the faulty part to be able to replace it. Is there a way to test Riser Card? can CPU tests tell anything?

I will appreciate any support and will be responding to any suggestions / questions.

Regards,
    nauzers

I have never heard that there was a riser issue with MacPro 6,1s. But I don't know thing how to add anything to your search for answers. I've never had a customer buy RAM for one and then have consistent errors across the board on them. Wonder if the memory is actually compatible?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I have never heard that there was a riser issue with MacPro 6,1s. But I don't know thing how to add anything to your search for answers. I've never had a customer buy RAM for one and then have consistent errors across the board on them. Wonder if the memory is actually compatible?
    Yes it is compatible. Its Genuine Apple Hynix 32GB 4x8GB 1866MHz DDR3 PC3-14900 ECC

Nothing wrong with Hynix brand memory. Sounds like you have a hardware problem. No one is going to pull a rabbit out of the hat for fixing that. BTW, saying genuine 'Apple Hynix' brand is like saying genuine reproduction. Two different companies, Apple just happens to buy lots of memory from Hynix. But as stated, Hynix does make good stuff. This still falls under: either the memory is not programmed right (Apple Hynix notwithstanding) or the MacPro has a hardware problem. Both issues are beyond the assistance of a forum halfway around the world.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin