Thread: Command + R not working - Grey Folder with Question Mark

Default Command + R not working - Grey Folder with Question Mark

Hi All,

I'm a PC tech and just started with MAC.

The short version:
    Macbook Unibody Mid 2010 - removed working HDD (El Capitan installed)
    Installed SSD (Samsung 128GB) - Fresh out of the box
    Booted pressing CMD (the square with the circles at the corners) + R
    Get a grey folder with a question mark in it.

I've made a Sierra USB flash boot installer using Make Boot Disk (I think that's what is was called) using my other mac
    USB flash drive is 128GB - Build went ok no errors

Connected the USB stick.
    Held down CMD + R - Get grey folder with flashing question mark

Also tried booting holding ATL + CMD = grey folder with question mark
    also tried booting holding only ATL = I get a white screen with a mouse point
    also tried the PRAM reset (CMD + ALT + P + R). It cycles a couple of times then re-tried the above = Still no result.

Do I need to get a OSX install DVD and boot from that.

I appreciate the CMD + R is probably not working as that runs from the recovery partition on the HDD, which I removed.

Also I don't think this model (due to it's age) has the Internet Recovery Option.

Only other thing I can think of is to clone the HDD to the SSD (I have a dedicated hardware unit to do that) then once up upgrade to Sierra.

I'm not hung up on Sierra, I just want a fresh OSX install to the SSD, even if it's El Capitan.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Leigh.

I would probably stick the pulled drive in a USB3 or Firewire 800 case and boot to it, then either clone the OS over (use SuperDuper) and update to Sierra after, or download and install Sierra fresh on the SSD.

It does sound like you did not get a bootable copy on the SSD.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

One other thing, Mac users don't think of it as the 'alt' key, easier to call it 'option'. Every Mac user knows what an option boot is. One small difference that helps understanding in conversation. Nt that it really matters.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

You might try plugging in the flash drive. Start the computer holding the option key. See if you get the option to select the flash drive. Just a thought.

Command + R gets both: local and internet Recovery. Looks for local partition first, then on to internet. Should work even with no internal boot drive....EFI based as I recall.

Also be sure to use built-in keyboard on MB, not USB.

Review this:

Standard Recovery vs. Internet Recovery

Internet Recovery basically starts up your Mac directly from Apple’s servers and performs a quick test of its memory and hard drive to check for hardware issues. If the boot sector is missing on the startup volume, or the recovery partition itself has become damaged or corrupted, your Mac will automatically enter Internet Recovery Mode.

To enter Internet Recovery manually, restart or power on your Mac and hold down the Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R after hearing the startup chime. Release the keys after the animated globe appears on the screen.
    Some older Macs have limited Recovery options....wonder if this is one, or if it needed a firmware update? Could be....check the list.
    Last edited by unclemac; 02-02-2017 at 01:54 PM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hi All,

I too have a problem. Question mark when I put in the new drive. Command+R will not work. Tried to burn an image using transmac but it would not recognize the USB as a start up when using the Option.

Help

Command R is for restoring your OS. If you have no OS on your boot drive to start with you will get nothing, it's part of the install of the OS from the factory. They take a portion of the Hard Drive and put the restore software on it. If you can't hook up a drive that can boot, then you are stuck. Your original drive, if working, should work. Then start at the top and read again.
    Last edited by yeungfeng; 08-10-2018 at 11:20 PM.

There's lots more information needed to be able to opinionate on this. What computer - exact model. Some Macs can't even boot to USB. What new drive? A Recovery, accessed by virtue of CommandR, is stored on your boot drive. If you install a new drive, it will not have any OS, let alone a restore partition. Also what operating system?
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin