Thread: Repairing permissions, High Sierra

Default Repairing permissions, High Sierra

Mac Mini, SSD, High Sierra.

Trying to repair permissions as getting fed up with being asked for password when I want to move/delete files.

Went through the obvious sequence (Command I, open the lock, click on 'Apply to enclosed items', etc.,) even then went to Terminal and put in the recommended command "diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`", which ran, and ended up saying all finished.

Restarted, went to offending file, tried to delete, and as before, got asked for my password. File itself had 'everyone can read and write' on permissions.

Is there a better way of selecting my hard disc and repairing/resetting permissions on it?

Thanks.

Allen.

Someone else will have to address this, I haven't run any kind of repair permissions in years. I'd probably reinstall the OS before I thought about a permissions repair.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

If I wipe my SSD and restore from my SuperDuper, will I be restoring the problems as well?

Or is it a question of suck it and see?

Allen

Last couple years, my chosen fix is usually a clean install and Migration Assistant to drag in my user stuff and apps. That has been more effective, for me.

If you have a bootable backup, then by all means, boot to it and test. Why go through all the steps before determining if your backup is also corrupt?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Point taken ricks. I shall try it in the morning (bedtime here in London!)

Allen

Just for the sake of good order, here is what I did.

1) booted from back-up: result, no better.
    2) re-installed High Sierra: result, no better.
    3) backed up again, wiped hard drive, re-installed High Sierra.
    Used Migration Asst. to restore original condition,
    result: fine.

So your original hunch was right, ricks, i.e. wiping/Migration. Yes, it does take a few hours, even on an organised session, so would be far more tricky if it was an emergency!

All ok now.

Thanks for the pointers.

Allen.

Right on. Love a happy ending.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin