Thread: Visa Versa

Default Visa Versa

I started thinking outside the box about purchasing a new iMac. If a fellow bought an iMac with an internal hard drive, could one connect a MacGurus https://www.macgurus.com/Item/T3-QuadX T3-QuadX ThunderBolt Enclosure with 2 SSDs in RAID0 to boot from? Use the internal drive as a bootable backup. Are the iMac installed Apple SSDs really faster?

I've heard it said that "Idle minds are the devil's play ground". However over active minds might think too much.

That would be one way to improve performance of the boot drive. The crux of the issue is that SSDs operate at SATA bus speeds. Apple has the right goal in mind by using PCIe based flash drives for internal storage on their pro model computers. I was fairly impressed with the MacPro cylinder's 1GB/sec flash drive performance. The cylinder is Thunderbolt2 - which means its PCIe bus is Revision 2 PCI. To put that in perspective, the fastest an SSD that is attached via SATAIII bus is capable of is somewhere short of the bus maximum, maybe mid 500 GB/sec range for the top of the line SSDs.

I am amazed at our current model Macbook Pro's flash drive performance. With a Thunderbolt3 based computer, the PCIe bus is now Revision 3 and the Flash drive's performance is now 3GB/sec. Zippy little guy.

Your idea with RAIDed SSDs has plenty of merit. Since Apple restricts the non-pro iMac models to an internal drive connected to SATA, going external with Thunderbolt gives some obvious advantages. A 2 drive SSD RAID0 would likely approach the speeds the MacPro cylinder enjoys.

The only thing that could beat that would be a Thunderbolt->PCIe Flash drive direct connection. Since Thunderbolt is PCIe over the external wire, theoretically we should be able to get nearly full 3GB/sec speeds. I'm betting someone somewhere is working on that.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I have drooled over the MacBookPro. I just don't think that small screen would work for me aging eyes, laddy. (my irish accent is showing) Do you hook it up to an external monitor? What kind of monitor would have as nice a screen as the MBP? I'd guess is will set you back a pretty penny (my scotch side now).

I hook the MBP up to a pair of almost anything we own. Since the MBP has a second graphics card for external monitors, it can run at least three extended monitors. Most of the time it gets hooked to a couple 23" cinema displays. Sometimes it ends up attached to a couple 23" Viewsonic cheapy displays. These are ones I bought when I was hauling the MBP around as an EMT and setting up in the ambulance barn. Pretty amazing how much screen you can run off a laptop.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Oh, the point: don't need no flipping 5K monitor to enjoy my MBP.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin