Thread: Apparently this is not my day (i.e., RAM trouble)

Default Apparently this is not my day (i.e., RAM trouble)

Soooooo..... if you caught the news elsewhere, nice guy that I am, I offered to help out a good friend by upgrading her mid 2009 13 inch MacBookPro with more RAM (2GB to 8GB) and a SSD HD.

I encountered a few corrupted files on the HD, but, by the end of the day yesterday, got that tackled, no problem.

Today, I installed the RAM and the new SSD. Or.... so I thought.

Closed up the computer, it fires up nicely..... only seeing 4 GB of RAM. One slot is empty.

I thought I had seated the RAM correctly... but..... when I opened it back up..... I find that both of the chips are in their "pop up" position (as if I'm getting ready to take them out... not sure how that happened, but..... I guess.... installer error maybe).

So..... very carefully but very firmly I make sure they're in there right. Nice and firm and not popping up.

Boot it back up. Same deal. One slot (I think it's DIMM0) is registering as empty.

So, not really wishing to deal with those damned tiny screws ONE more time, I call the local mom and pop Apple repair place, to see what they'll charge to effin' do it. LOL. I hate to give up you know..... but.......

They tell me to try an SMC reset, and if that doesn't work, trying resetting the PRAM (it'd been so long since I'd had to do a PRAM reset, I just plumb forgot to try that).

I do both of these things, nada.

Right now.... I'm thinking I should open it back up, swap the chips around, and see if one of them is bad. If the RAM in DIMM0 is bad, and I swap them out, then it will register empty in DIMM1, right?

Man.... it must be Mercury Retrograde or something (LOL), it shouldn't be this hard, right?

I also made sure they were seated in there properly... but... I suppose I could've made an error....

Advice, anyone?

Rolleyes

And survey says.....

It was installer error...

Apparently, I had not seated the upper RAM chip firmly enough. All 8 GBs are there... all's well that ends well....

Thank you Gurus!

I'm not much help in the afternoons these days. Every spring I coach high school baseball, so I am gone gone gone. Wouldn't have been much help anyway seeing as you had to push harder is all.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I do really appreciate everything you Gurus do here! Thank you my good man!!!

Yup... 'tis true.... sometimes you just gotta push a little harder!!! LOL